Bringing this ej8 back to life

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
So I found this car super cheap with a broke timing belt. D16Y8 motor, 5 speed vtec To put it nicely, its rough...

rattle can paint job (white)
red engine bay (they didn't know what taping off was)
headliner is tore
seats ripped
and its dirty as hell inside.

But the pros

VTEC
5speed
Lowered
3inch stainless exhaust all the way back
4-1 headers

Plans for the car......
Needs timing belt first of all
Paint it
New seats
Headliner
And going to dd it for a while. Don't know exactly what I plan on doing with it yet but it wasn't a bad buy

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

94RS

No fucks given.
Better hope the valves aren't bent if the timing belt snapped. And 3in exhaust is overkill.

I'd abandon ship and try reselling as a shell before it becomes a money pit.

Ganyon

It's rough but if it runs and drives after you fix it, then might as well daily it and then 5 speed swap the teg while you're driving the civic, or drive the teg, fix and swap a b series in the civic.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Better hope the valves aren't bent if the timing belt snapped. And 3in exhaust is overkill.

I'd abandon ship and try reselling as a shell before it becomes a money pit.
I'm in it for $400 now, taking the vc off tomorrow to check the valves.
It's rough but if it runs and drives after you fix it, then might as well daily it and then 5 speed swap the teg while you're driving the civic, or drive the teg, fix and swap a b series in the civic.
Yeah I would like to get it running, cleaning it up and dding it. Whether it has cold ac and drives good determines whether I keep it or sell it and spend the money into the teg

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Okay so the kid I got it from wasn't too bright. After pulling off all the belts, the harmonic balancer bolt was finger tight.... And the tensioner was stripped making him think it jumped time. But it all happened while at idle so no bent valves and its only a 30 dollar fix. Was able to crank it and let it idle for a minute with the wore out tensioner and it sounded pretty good. A new tensioner in the am and then I can drive it. Pretty stoked :D

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
She's alive

zack11122

Sell it before you ruin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Sell it before you ruin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fixed it. Was just a stripped tensioner bolt. Went and bought a new tensioner for $30 and she's good as new

Last edited:

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Sweet. Now buy a windshield for it.
On my long list of things to get. Windshield, headliner, paint, OEM taillights and side mirrors.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Noticed a little white steam out the tailpipe, but no overheating issue or water in oil. Hoping its just because the d16y8 block on the d15b7 heads. Got some blockseal to cause any further damage, and a OEM oil cap. (Came without one)

If all goes well should stop steaming and then I'll work on windshield and paint. Woop woop

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Steaming? It's either condensation or burning coolant.
It was sunny outside. Not a lot of moisture. Was told it was water seeping into the cylinders due to the mix and matched heads and the head gasket not lining up properly. But with it not mixing oil and water on the dipstick I don't think its a major leak.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Okay, so I put some of this in it

And cleaned the bay with engine degreaser because it was rough

It made the white smoke cut back but it also sat up for a while so it could be something to do with that. Will mess with it a little more later