Setup for Autocross

cruzthepug

I've been auto crossing a 370Z that last couple of years (also my daily) and decided to get a more sensible daily and build a dedicated autocross car. Picked up a 2016 Jeep cherokee a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to decide on what car to build. Well, a friend contacted me yesterday and said he had a 1990 Integra (2 door, manual) that I could have to build a race car. Sweet.....a free car to start with.

Don't have much info yet, hopefully I'll get a look at it today. He says it runs and drives great, body is straight, but the paint is shot. Sounds like the perfect race car to me.

I'll start with all the basics, new fluids, plugs, wires etc. My first major purchase with be adjustable coilovers and wheels and tires.

First question: How big of a tire can I fit under the Integra? I'll roll the fenders if needed. My plan is to build it for DSP class so I'm not limited to wheel width and I want as much tire as I can fit.

cruzthepug

Pick up the Integra this afternoon. After putting in a new battery is started right up and ran perfect. Drove good, engine pulled hard. Maybe the clutch was letting out higher than I like, not sure if that can be adjusted, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Ordered a set of 15" wheels and at set of Toyo Proxes RA1 - 225/50/15. Also a set of Stoptech brake pads, cutback exhaust and CIA. Coilovers and the rest of the suspension will come a bit later along with a couple of race seats.

Paint needs help but after a pressure wash not too bad for a 26 year old car.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
is DSP lower than SMF?

Im not sure if RA1s are a good choice for auto cross. A hoosier auto cross tire or the potenza RE11-A, RS3, Rival, R888, NT01 or whatever the new street tire is would be a better choice. RA1s have the downfall of being a slower tire, take longer to come to temp but have a wide heat range and can hold grip for like 40 minutes of driving. You want something that will grip out of the gate like an R888 or an auto x tire.

cruzthepug

I got a deal on the RA1's so they will be good enough to run during the build. SMF is a all out do anything class, DSP does still have some restriction, but not many. Still has to be street legal, but can run DOT r-comps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I got a deal on the RA1's so they will be good enough to run during the build. SMF is a all out do anything class, DSP does still have some restriction, but not many. Still has to be street legal, but can run DOT r-comps

my experience with autocrossing on RA1s was sub par. I had zero grip for 1-2 runs kind of a meh thing IMO.

cruzthepug

The ones I bought are new but already shaved, don't know if that will help, but they were about 1/2 the price a new set of just about anything else.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
It doesnt matter. Its the compound, it takes longer to heat up. RA1s took me 2-3 laps to get on temp where NT01s i can set a PB my first hot lap.

Noneed2Hate

I legitimately fear for your safety when the wheel breaks and a large jagged edge is left. Then you slam forward upon impact of whatever (or just stopping too hard) and cut your jugular on it.