oil pan gasket?

treybombRW

ok so i have a 92 ls... i was visiting my g/f for the weekend and when i left to go home an hour away, i went onto the highway and when accelerating, i noticed a subtle burning scent coming into the car through the blower motor for the ac and heat.. it seems to be more noticeable on acceleration as if i'm burning oil every time i hit the gas... i got off the highway and every thing seemed to be running fine. but when i lifted my hood to check, a small cloud of smoke came out. i checked up and down for and oil leak on my valve cover and head gasket. i didn't see a leak or anything out of the ordinary. a pedestrian said that it could be an oil pan gasket, and that the dripping oil could be dripping onto my exhaust and making the burning scent. i was down a liter when i check my oil after the trip. but topped up and i got the same results (odd smell, and light smoke ect..) i'm lost here. and i don't wanna sell or scrap my DA. any advice would be great... thanks.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
Jack the front end of the car up, get jackstands under it, and crawl under with a flashlight. Check the gasket to see if theres any oil along the rim of the pan and gasket. If there is, chances are your gasket needs replacing.

Its not too big of a deal, but time consuming. I had to replace my oil pan gasket several times due to excessive crank case pressure from being boosted, which a ventilated valve cover solved for me.

Youll have to wait for the car to cool down, and you MIGHT, have to take off your header in order to drop the pan. But pretty much its several 10mm bolts and nuts holding the pan on, take the all off AFTER you drain the oil. Take the pan off, old gasket off, and clean the surface of the pan, and the bottom of the block to make sure its clean and the new gasket will adhere correctly, new gasket on and put the pan back on. Be sure not to over tighten the bolts and nuts holding the pan on, I think the right torque is 4ft lbs working from the inside out on the pan.