Startup issues

Swerve

Shawn
So my eg is having starting issues and I figure my ci homies could help. This has been an inconsistent and random/differing problem for the last couple weeks.
About 50% of starts will do any of the following:
Stall out after reaching 1300 (my cold warm up idle spot)
Bog at about 300 rpms then shoot up to regular idle
Take a substantial time to crank
Bog at 300 and stall

And about 20 mins ago after getting gas I couldn't get to start at all for a few tries, I had the gas guy open up the gas tank and see if he could hear the fuel pump priming and he said no but he put the gas cap back on and it started fine.

And of course 50% of the time it starts totally fine.

Please help guys

Swerve

Shawn
Fuel pressure regulator if we have those? Possibly, it's been hard to diagnose because it's so sparradic, but the fuel filter looks pretty new, idk about the pump tho

osiris19

Couple of things to go off. Fuel filter can look new on the outside, but can be clogged on the inside. Pull off the feed line to the rail and turn the key on. This will also tell you that the fuel pump is working as it should. FPR is on the rail I believe.

Swerve

Shawn
Ok, and do that repeatedly to see if it's consistent? Cos like u said, works sometimes perfectly fine, some times not at all.

Swerve

Shawn
Wb something as stupid as a gas cap? If the tank isn't holding good pressure it could muck everything up right?

Swerve

Shawn
I just started it up to move it into the garage to work on it and it went to 700 real quick then stalled, then I started it again and revved it immediately and it started and ran fine

Nick_C78

If its not fuel pressure related here are two other options.

O2 sensor or engine coolant temp sensor. I have had both give me issues similar to what you are having. It is likely fuel pressure (start with filter and cap) because cold gas stays in liquid form longer, makes cold starts harder. Just thought I would add to mix.

Swerve

Shawn
I will say that o2 sensor on header was recently replaced and I don't have a 2nd one. Fuel filter looks new as well but you never know I guess. I'm still guessing fuel pump or cap etc, hope fully I can get my friends fuel pressure tester gauge thingy today

Swerve

Shawn
And also my temp reading in cluster stopped working shortly after this problem came about so maybe I'll replace the temp sensor as well today, I know coolant fucks with a surprising amount of stuff.

Nick_C78

Engine temp sensor has nothing to do with gauge on dash. That's the temp switch(single wire) that controls the gauge.

Swerve

Shawn
Engine temp sensor has nothing to do with gauge on dash. That's the temp switch(single wire) that controls the gauge.
Oh. Well either way I'm about to go replace it.

I'm leaning away from fpr, I don't see why fpr, full filter, and fuel pump, I don't see why they would only affect me on startup and not cause any sort of bogging/ cut out while driving idling.

Swerve

Shawn
Changing the coolant temp sensor and putting a different iacv on yielded no difference, but I looked and my cap and rotor are very worn