Cleaned Idle air control valve AND......

red00lght

Car idles much better when warm, but when I first start it up it revs up to 1500+rpm and stays there for about 2 minutes. Even with an A/C load on it, the revs stay too high to select reverse or drive without slamming into gear.
Anybody else run into this problem? :(

red00lght

All cars idle high until warmed up
I've driven cars for over 25 years so I know cars idle higher when cold, however, this one is idling EXCESSIVELY high to the point that putting it into gear slams the tranny hard. It doesn't respond to stabbing at the gas to bring the idle down either.....it is like it is stuck.

I guess I'm going to try to recheck the IACV or replace it. Just wondered if anyone else ran into this problem after cleaning theirs?

mirrorimg

I dont have a problem getting into gear when my idle is like that on cold starts. Transmission flush maybe?

red00lght

I dont have a problem getting into gear when my idle is like that on cold starts. Transmission flush maybe?
Ya...I think the tranny is on its' last legs at this point. However, I've found that loading the engine with the A/C on and then moving the steering wheel a bit back and forth brings the rpms down a little to allow it to go into gear without that crunch. 8)

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Did you reset the ECU afterward?

Did you adjust the idle screw?

Did you check the ignition timing?

Did your torque the IACV bolts?

MrAtlantis

I'm having a very similar issue, yet mine will erratically idle between 500 and 1500. If in gear, vehicle will drive with no gas applied due to idle. Transmission's good, IACV has been cleaned, tested with 12v and deemed operable. Adjusting idle will only cause problems when warmed up. After 3-5min. idle returns to normal. I've heard talk of other adjustments near intake and another near throttle body. Perhaps anyone might be able to give me some advice?

g8bmet

i have the exact same problem in my 94 ls. it iidle's crazy. just up and down. then when i give it a little gas it gets stuck at 3000. and i def cannot put it in gear

Afireinside

i have the exact same problem in my 94 ls. it iidle's crazy. just up and down. then when i give it a little gas it gets stuck at 3000. and i def cannot put it in gear
Only when cold or does it do this at operating temp. as well??

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
I don't know, it still does it. It's my "intelligent paunch control that determines the best RPM and best throttle pressure to have the perfect launches"

I'm guessing it's a wiring issue. I've been lazy and filled with hate against my Integra lately.