Starter or what????

13superD

So, I've just replaced the starter on my '93 RS on Sunday, had to get the 90-91 LS starter to fit. It could possibly be a rebuilt starter.

The starter worked for a day without any problems. Then after a long hot commute Monday morning I stopped at a gas station and the car would not start. Had to push-start the car to get it home. The next morning it started without any problems.

Been driving all week, just to and from work. Car has to sit and cool down before it starts again.

Is this still a Starter problem or could it be something else?????

mirrorimg

Main relay could potentially be the problem. I believe it is under the day next to or on the fusebox.

DAmonzt3r

db1 is love
its the main relay bro dont make a mistake and change your fuel pump believe me i did exactly what you did and guess what the main relay was last on my list but that was the problem

13superD

Is that the box on the bottom of the dash and near the steering colum? If so, then I changed that first before I changed the starter. Well, I'll try putting the original one back in and see what happens.... Thanks guys!

Stay Tuned!

macdman

i had hte same problem... the main relay did the trick.. now it starts everytime except for the rare time that the starter doesnt catch. and i have to tap on it but i am pretty sure its the main relay.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
also try replacing the ignition switch (and associated harness)

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/5895-01058673.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1990-1993+Acura+Integra+Ignition+Switch+OES+Genuine+90-93+Acura+Ignition+Switch&utm_content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

i had similar problems as yours. went through 2 relays (first one was shot, 2nd was a cheap used one that didn't last long at all) bought a 3rd, and the relay has been fine ever since. though i did have other issues, and it led back to the part i mentioned above. not gonna lie, that thing is a BITCH to replace. you have to have small tools and even smaller hands to replace it. not the funnest thing i've ever done, but it works.

the last starting issue i had (about 2 months ago) ended up being the Ignition Control Module, and the coil. I just outright replaced the whole distributor. Car has started like a champ ever since.

hope that helps.

13superD

Errr! Still not starting up right after being driven....

I guess I'll try the ignition switch hondagod suggested...

j_mee_5

hey guys i have the same problem also.. the only thing is that i did change the relay i got it form acura. but anyways here is the problem also..

when i drive the car for about 30 mins while the car is still in motion the car will just die on me. this happen to me 3 times already so i dont even drive the car no more. out of the 2 times that the car die on my ill let it sit for about 2 hours and bammn i try turning the car on and it will start right up.. the 1st time i had it towed..

i changed the fuel filter fuel pump and the relay. any clues guys thanks..

also hondagod_666 i will try that also..

p.s. i did have a motor swap on it to a b20

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
I didn't know that you could push-start it when the main relay was bad. Anyone else have an answer to that?
I can understand why everyone is saying "Main Relay" because generally when a car won't start when it's hot.. it is because of that. I have not heard if anyone can push-start it with a main relay bad. I didn't think you could. And if you can't, then it eliminates that issue..

You might try testing some things.. as far as i'm aware you can test all of these things before you replace them. It would be a shame to keep throwing money into it without knowing if these things are actually bad.