changing front brake pads = loss of brake pedal pressure?

streetphreak

First, I do not own an Acura. My girlfriend does. I do however drive it when she asks me to drive or when my vehicle is being worked on. By me. I worked on my girlfriend's car just this night. Something seems wrong now.The car is a 1995 4 Door Acura Integra LS (automatic). Here's what happened.

1. I replaced the brake pads in the right front tire of her car. It bled badly when I changed it. All black and such.
2. I then replaced the brake pads in the left front tire of her car. It didn't bleed that bad.
3. I opened the brake fluid reservoir, filled the fluid to the middle (didn't have enough to fill max) and had my girlfriend pump the brakes around 10 times all while the cap was off to the reservoir (which was stupid of me), then 7 more times with the cap back on.

She said there was pressure, the normal pressure anyone would feel, and I left it at that. Two hours later we hopped into her car to go home (her home) and I barely felt any resistance when braking. I had to step nearly all the way down to slow the car down. There's something wrong, I know I did something really bad. Someone please help us. I'll be using her car tomorrow (Wednesday) in order to bring us both to work, then I won't touch it anymore until I figure it out.

BTW I've changed brakes before on my family's cars and my own, but I've never run into this problem. My car did need a clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder changed later on that feels nearly the same as my problem now, but I'm praying its not. We're broke bad and having to replace her master cylinder would be impossible at this time. So anyone, please lend me your insight and possible the right (I really mean low costing) answer!!

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Check for leaks and make sure you tightened the bleeders down all the way. Also make sure you got all of the air out of the lines or else this can happen. Once you're sure it''s not leaking and all the air is out of the lines, if it's still doing it, it could be a leaky caliper or master cylinder. I doubt that though since you just messed with the brakes and they were fine before hand. I would go bleed the brakes really good to make sure all of the air is out. Run fluid through till it's perfectly clear and has zero air bubbles.

streetphreak

man that was wack of me. never do bleeding in the dark. i bled using the wrong bolt and not the actual brake bleeders... all done :lol: