Timing belt/timing gear/crank bolt issues

jccammer1

So heres my story. i bought my automatic 90 integra ls b18a1 a few months ago for $700. When i got it it had an idle problem i had never seen. After the engine warmed up, at idle the rpms would drop to around 500 and bounce around until it dropped out. i checked the IACV it was perfectly clean. i adjusted the idle at the throttle and couldn't find a sweet spot. Whenever i came to a red light i was forced to drop it into neutral and ride the gas a bit so it didn't stall out.

A few days ago while on my way to get supplies for an oil change which i desperately needed there was a rattle coming from the drivers side of the engine, a few moments later it stopped running and wouldn't start. I got it home and discovered the timing belt was completely shredded. so i started the replacement procedure with my Haynes manual in hand. Ive come to pulling the crank bolt off, and have torn 2 strap wrenches in half trying to get this bolt out! As i pondered what to do next apart from buying extremely expensive specialty tools i noticed what seems to be the cause of the belt stripping. One of the timing gears appears to be bent!....im at a bit of a standstill i need to get this bolt off to get a better look at this gear....

cborden

Jesus is THE way
the idle could possibly be your valves need readjustment mine did the same thing idled up and down and ran rough and eventually died i had to press on the gas to keep it runnin
as for the timing belt id bring it to a shop where they have the specialty tools and impact guns to take it off and torque it properly back on and hopefully the tensioner is bent which comes in most timing kits

jccammer1

thanks for the reply. i went up to napa to get a damper and the closest napa that had it was in syracuse(im in albany)....the guy was nice enough though to let me borrow an impact gun. and after working on the bolt for about 15 min. it came off. i took off the pulley and found the lower timing belt cover was melted and broken. as i was cleaning all the debris out from the sprockets the gear closest to the tensioner came off in my hand. it had somehow cracked and snapped loose.....i am researching what that particular gear does but i have no clue...i fear i may have to pull the engine......

Last edited:

lshitegra90

sounds like your water pump. although i have never heard of that just falling apart. but i would imagine if it was

corroded enough it could. if you havent bought your timing belt yet get a kit with a timing belt, water pump, and

a tensioner like cborben said. better to do it all at once. your baby just needs some TLC . definitely recommend

honda parts, i have seen shitty timing belts from advance stretch until they cant be tightened anymore.

mirrorimg

There is a crank pulley holder tool for hondas. Its $15. Thats what you need to get that bolt out, or a 3/4" impact gun with a nice torque rating.

jccammer1

It turned out it was the water pump. it was completely destroyed i pulled it off and am on my way up to napa to get a few parts.Thanks!

jccammer1

All i have left to do is find a lower timing belt cover(the old one melted and broke apart)and reinstall and bleed both the power steering and coolent system and i hope im good to go.....

But Ive been told that this engine,being an interference engine, if the belt breaks then the valves will jam into the pistons unless by sheer stroke of luck there was just enough space when the engine came to a gradual stop. Is it possible for me to be this lucky? i didn't hear any snaps or pops when it happened just a lot of rattling coming from the water pump and timingbelt.

mirrorimg

Leak down test to see if there is excessive air passing the valves at TDC. There is less chance on a non-vtec motor because of the cam lobes. They sort of pop into a certain position and stick there.

Where do you live? I think I have a lower timing cover in the garage I would let you have if you are close.

jccammer1

unfortunatly im up in Albany. thanks for the offer. im gonna head over to a pick and pull tommarow to see if i can finish up then ill check the valves.

Prozon

Kris
I would definitely try to find a used one somewhere. New timing covers are effin' expensive! I bought brand new ones for my car. (Back and bottom.) and it was $55. Up to $70 for shipping. Pretty ridiculous.

jccammer1

I would definitely try to find a used one somewhere. New timing covers are effin' expensive! I bought brand new ones for my car. (Back and bottom.) and it was $55. Up to $70 for shipping. Pretty ridiculous.
i ended up finding a few around here. one at acura for 70. one local shop would order it for 70 with 20 for shipping then another 25 for profit. i called a salvage yard who pulled one for me from there lot and is only charging me $25 but i was unable to get over there and they dont open again until tuesday for labor day.....(so close)

Prozon

Kris
You can't beat $25 lol.
I never got why they get away with charging $70 for 5 cents worth of plastic.

757autoGS-Rspec

There is a crank pulley holder tool for hondas. Its $15. Thats what you need to get that bolt out, or a 3/4" impact gun with a nice torque rating.

good call bro. got the same tool from napa for 15 bucks. around the shop we call it the million dollar tool. just remember everyone when it seems to hard or impossible there is a way to make things a lot easier for you.