Valve cover install hondabond or not?!?!

green9088

Ok i am installing a new valve cover on my 01 gsr. I have new gaskets and plug well seals. My main question is it mandatory to use hondabond or something of that nature for the valve cover gasket or is the gasket itself enough?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i use it at the corners where the 'bridge' of the cams are on the ends.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Permatex black is what I've always used. Pick up the tiny tube and you'll get 2 valve cover gasket jobs from it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jhamm3113

Hey guys. New to actually using the site since I now have a teggy that's my new baby. I see this thread has been inactive for a while but I'm not wanting to start a new one on a useless topic that may have already been covered in more detail else where, but I'm in a time crunch and needing some good answers. I'm a technician myself (at Toyota unfortunately) and was wondering if there are any specific valve cover gaskets (brands, kits, etc.) that you recommend or recommend avoiding. Also wondering if just some basic rtv will do the trick for sealing the corners. Should I just go with O'reilly's kit or should I order something specific online. I have my #2 cylinder filled with oil and what smells like possibly gas and need tube seals and a valve cover gasket. Any quick replies would be appreciated.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
1.) Welcome
2.) Any RTV will do. Personally I dont use it and it doesn't leak.
3.) I have had issues with non OEM valve cover gaskets being loose (too long)
4.) Sounds like you need the spark plug seals too.

Ganyon

Oem vc gaskets are the best. My gasket from autozone leaks a little. Plus its too big to fit in the grooves on the cover.

95B18BTurbo

I've used Fel Pro's and they work fine. They are a one time use only deal though as they expand after heat cycles. There is a Permatex gray that is the equivalent to HondaBond and it works great for tacking the corners.

Jhamm3113

Ahh! I see where my post went now. Lol like I said trying to get the hang of this. Thanks guys. Gonna be doing the work tonight when we slow down. So basically what I'm getting here is I need to get an oem gasket kit from oreillys (closest and best discounts) maybe throw some rtv in the corners for good measure and get spark plug seals too? Or would they come with the kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk