JDM Swap Question - Converting from US B18C1 to JDM B18C

I have a '95 GSR with 177k miles, I recently took my car to 2 different shops to conduct compression tests and apparently one of my piston ring is broke, leaking, or dead. I was shopping around to have it repair, but the cost is anywhere from $1500-$2000 to tear apart the engine to drill, bore, and machine this and that. And, that's just for the Block, not counting the Head setup. So I decided to just buy a long block. Surprisingly eBay has JDM motors, I wanted to purchase a JDM B18C OBD1 and I was wondering if this long block will drop right in, connect with my current Transmission, and external engine components or will I have to purchase some special JDM Harness, Wires, or Contraption to complete the swap. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
Not even worth it man. Just rebuild your setup. Keep your harness. I have the same ride and it's a bitch to find that harness(still in tact). '95 is a good year bro. Just do a rebuild.

Alvi84

I spent $2017.00 to have a JDM B18c (SiR-G) aka JDM GsR shipped to my door step from HMotorsOnline.com (came with 47k miles on it and a 30 day start up guarentee, HMotors got it to me in 17 days I believe and everything worked and the motor is super strong, beastin' on my buddies USDM GsR's) - also in my signature is a thread for everything you'd have to do to swap a JDM GsR into your USDM GsR. I did my swap last summer. There are a few things that need to be done (like the VTEC sylenoid if you don't purchase the JDM ecu and the CFK sensor if you get an OBD2 motor, and the RHD wire harness won't work without extending it but since you have your USDM harness, all plugs are the same)

Last edited:

Rich-PMS

Many reputable engine sellers are on eBay.

Doyourseld research on the company before buying. But YES everything will bolt on the same way.

purp_db7

Isnt that easy swap over I mean I imagine u can just take your motor out take of the intake manifold and all other componants and drop the jdm longblock in. isnt that the easiest way?

mjones73

I spent $2017.00 to have a JDM B18c (SiR-G) aka JDM GsR shipped to my door step from HMotorsOnline.com (came with 47k miles on it and a 30 day start up guarentee, HMotors got it to me in 17 days I believe and everything worked and the motor is super strong, beastin' on my buddies USDM GsR's) - also in my signature is a thread for everything you'd have to do to swap a JDM GsR into your USDM GsR. I did my swap last summer. There are a few things that need to be done (like the VTEC sylenoid if you don't purchase the JDM ecu and the CFK sensor if you get an OBD2 motor, and the RHD wire harness won't work without extending it but since you have your USDM harness, all plugs are the same)
How did you get it so cheap? They are listing those motors at $2600 on their site.

Alvi84

I just picked up the long block minus the transmission. You are looking at the price for the Full Swap.

mjones73

Ahh I was looking at the motor/tranny/ecu combo, they want more for the full swap. You were able to use your GSR ECU with it?

I have 160k on my motor now, I figure a swap would be easier then I can just sell my long block if I want.

Last edited:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
People make this shit harder then it should be. You don;t need to change your wiring harness out unless your putting the motor into a non vtec car, you dont need to run the mad tyte jdm ecu. Truth be told the JDM ecu's suck in comparison to their USDM counterparts, lower redlines, lower speed limiters ect.

This isn't fucking rocket science here folks, good lord. I see threads like this all the time and see posters "answering" the OP's question with mis-information.

Step 1. Remove USDM GSR
Step 2. Install JDM GSR with your obd1 components i.e ecu, injectors, distributor, alternator, harness
Step 3. Drive

nothing more nothing less. Its plug and play.You don't have to worry bout the sensor on the crank as your obd1 ecu won't even look for it. Sorry to come off as a dick, but mis-information is a huge pet peeve of mine.

For what its worth, my buddy bought his automatic sir-g swap off ebay and that car runs amazing. I have another buddy who bought a b16 from Hmotors and it ran like absolute shit, every company will have atleast 1 bad motor, idc who the company is. Alot of times if you look at the sellers name on ebay you'll find its actually a repitable shop just selling their products on ebay. I personally buy my JDM motors from Tigerjapanese, read reviews and youll find bad ones, personally I havent gotten a bad motor from them after 6 motors. Not to mention waiting 17 days for a motor to arrive is assinine, takes tigerjap 3 days to get my motors to me here in Ohio

Last edited:

Thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate it. Initially, I was contemplating buying a used car, but on a budget of $3000, I'd only be able to purchase a fixer upper, so I decided to just fix my current car. I didn't want to pour $1500 into replacing the Piston Ring then end up blowing a valve or something 2 months later, 'cause the milage is so high. I asked the question because I wanted to gather all the information that I can before deciding if I should get a JDM swap or rebuild the current motor. I was checking out hmotorsonline.com and I'm pretty sure that I'll get a B18C long block from them. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

96GSRteg

Tyler
if the car has been maintained and well taken care of, i've tegs with over 250,000 miles and still running strong. If youre really set on doing a swap, save up for it and do it right. That is an area you cannot skimp on or go cheap. Good luck.