distributor replacment needed what to look for

TheGopher

Hey, 90 RS no mods. Thru code 4 and the crank sensor ohms out ok. Ran the engine again heard a whine, now inside of distrb has a reddish powder. So where to buy a distrb? Any recommends or shuns?
I'm a total newb at this so let me know if I did this wrong.
Thanks

92greenmachine

just bought a cardone new from rock auto...making all kinds of noise fromtop of engine like crazy..put old one back on and noise back to "normal " occasional tap from top side on cold start...was showing No 1 cyl code before that's why I replaced it. I'm wondering if I may have jumped a tooth on timing belt and that's why new one was so loud because it was actually sensing No 1 cyl. Any thoughts?? Or my Cardone was just crap.?

g6qwerty

Don't know but once came across a distributor somebody put in wrong, that slot in the distributor is off set so it goes in in one way only unless your force it. Also the valve train on the b series engines need the valve lash adjusted now and then, it can get a bit noisy.

Last edited:

92greenmachine

Don't know but once came across a distributor somebody put in wrong, that slot in the distributor is off set so it goes in in one way only unless your force it. Also the valve train on the b series engines need the valve lash adjusted now and then, it can get a bit noisy.
yeah I'm aware of this it was correctly reinstalled .valves have been adjusted it sounded like a ball bearing was bouncing around in my valve cover @ #3-4 cylinders (near distributor) . I've sent it back to rockuto it takes a couple of weeks for them to process returns FYI but they are really cheap on prices . I'm going with a Spectra distributor next . I guess my main question remains what does the #1 cylinder sensor do . When it throws a code does it cause any effect to the timing/vtec /cause a limp mode ect. It runs pretty good with the current dizzy throwing the #1 cyl code.

Last edited:

partspicker

I just bought a Duralast Gold $220 the most expensive one autozone had.
This is my second aftermarket Distributor in 5 to 7 years don't exactly remember the time line
but they just don't last like the original that came with the car.
Does anyone know what the make/brand was the original that came with the car
and can you still buy them?