Quick & cheap ways to increase horsepower

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
Howdy, I'm looking for a few ways to increase the horsepower and overall acceleration of my '90 GS. You guys got any tips?

performance...

1. Fuel filter
2. Air filter
3. Spark plugs

.....anything else? I'm looking for something under $100 per thing (be it filters or anything) and relatively simple to install to give my car a little boost. Ideas?

Last edited:

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
there is no quick, cheap, and easy way to increase HP dramatically.
bolt ons, and a tune up will give you some gain, but not much.

michaelz

your biggest gain is going to come from a full exhaust and extractors. if you're after power and at $100 per thing you'll be scraping the bottom of the ebay performance bin.

but in general keeping the car well maintained will get back the lost horses from wear and tear so that's something else you could always do.

BlackDC2

VTEC MANIAC!
1. Flush the engine oil using some engine cleaner mixture additive to oil just before draining (contains kerosine)
2. Fill up with premium fully-syn oil
3. Premium quality/OEM oil filter
4. New Platinum tipped spark plugs
5. Spark Plug leads
6. Full exhaust system (de-cat your exhaust if possible)
7. empty your trunk
8. Make sure you are using right size wheels with not too wide tires on them and air pressure is ok. Smaller rims + narrow tires = more power accelerating/taking off
9. remove aircon motor and aircon rad
10. Good air induction kit with as big as u can air filter adds some bhp while at high rpm's
11. Uprated exhaust mani is good go along with #6.
12. heatwrap exhaust mani and intake piping and try make a firewall between intake air filter and engine, give coild air feed to air filter
13. some extra grounding to engine head will give some % in more stable idling and accelerating
14. you could strip your interior and leave just front seats but this is something before you go to step 15 16 and so on and it will get very expensive...

the best bang for a little more power on the go is to convert to E85 fuel but thats good few hundreds to spend on ...

its just all my opinion... please feel free to fix me where I wrote wrong

cheers!

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
Thanks guys! I was looking at cold air intakes last night as well, they don't look to difficult/impossible to install.

mirrorimg

Maintenance will help you recover some of the power you have lost because of things going bad. It will also be recovered by doing breather mods (Intake, Header, Exhaust). \

It will only be MADE when you modify the amount of air your motor pulls in, and/or your compression ratio. This means going with forced induction (turbocharger, supercharger) or building the internals of your motor (Pistons, Camshafts).

Everything you do will help a little, but you wont be gaining much until you break out the big guns.

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
I've been looking at cold air intakes and was wondering from experience, what is the best kind to get? I am aware of Google ;) but want to know what is bet suited for an integra, or does it even really matter?

DumaDa9

piping is piping, only difference is the filters and if you need something thats carb legal or not

NICOLEDA9

if your car is fuel injected i would pick up a bottle of fuel injector cleaner for a couple bucks at walmart; i used that when i first got my civic and the first time i put some in there i could notice a difference. its not going to make the biggest difference in the world that you may be looking for but depending on how dirty or clogged your fuel injectors are you'll see something.
i got the bottle that was specifically for high millage cars and it works great. its just an additive you add into your gas tank so its real simple and fast. and for a couple bucks you might as well try

NICOLEDA9

also i dont know how good or bad it is because I've never used it but they do have stuff i've seen at advanced auto parts and autozone called octane booster that you also add to your gas tank and its supposedly supposed to give your car increased performance. its like a shot of NOS basically but like i said i've never used it or have known anyone to use it so i would definitely do some research before you pick up a bottle but its a quick and easy boost of horsepower

BlackDC2

VTEC MANIAC!
also i dont know how good or bad it is because I've never used it but they do have stuff i've seen at advanced auto parts and autozone called octane booster that you also add to your gas tank and its supposedly supposed to give your car increased performance. its like a shot of NOS basically but like i said i've never used it or have known anyone to use it so i would definitely do some research before you pick up a bottle but its a quick and easy boost of horsepower
its bad for tegs, and most cars 1980 and up, that octane booster does contain lead, and it ruins the engine of yours(notice whats written on the clocks, manual book, and on the fuel tank cap - "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY"), keep away from it, just do the list of what I have there and by the way - I forgot probably the most important - get yourself a new Oxygen sensor(Primary O2 Sensor), the one that is in your exhaust. If your sensor is fuccked u more likely to run incorrect fuel mixture and getting no performance either not great mpg