Engine cranks but doesn't fire

95LS_Special

Hey all!

This would be my first post here at club integra.

My integra got stolen about a month ago. It was an automatic 96 LS with only 110,000 miles on it. Great condition paint and interior. I got my insurance money and picked up a LS special edition with a CF hood type R wing manual, intake, exhaust, and other goodies already installed. It is the oem clutch and it has 150,000 on the odo.

Everything was running great on it until I decided to find a way to easily disable the motor from starting.

It has a nice alarm installed but no the ignition will work even if the alarm is going off. I will be wiring up the fuel pump to not have power when the alarm is activated as well as hide a manual kill switch. Until then, I figured I could pull a fuse or disconnect a wire as one extra layer in protecting my car. So I went spelunking....Let just say I was very successfully at keeping the engine from starting.

So here is what I did:
-Pulled the plug wires off the plugs (I discovered engine will run on just one cylinder lol.)
-That seemed to easy so I plugged the wires back in and started it, ran fine.
-Unplugged the dizzy pigtail and cranked it, didn't start.
-Plugged the pigtail back in but did not quite click the connectors completely together anticipating pulling them right back off.
-Cranked it and it fired one cylinder one time then cranked and cranked.
-I clicked the pigtail in all the way but same thing.

I am assuming I shorted something. Ignition related fuses looked good but I will check all of them tonight.

Also I noticed that my fuel light was on but I could have swore had half a tank. Just in case I got a gallon and added it but still nothing.

Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advanced.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Definitely check for spark. Also I'd pull your spark plugs and see if they're good. Sounds like you could have messed up your distributor.

O o
~~

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
dude... if it aint broke dont fix it... i guess you have just learned that the hard way...

Spody02

Name: Cody
get out your manual and check the the ignition coil for the right volts, that where i would start

95LS_Special

Ok so

-no spark at the plugs
-rotor is turning when I crank it
-pulled the plugs and they are like new
-disconnected the battery last night so ecu had plenty of time to reset

Does this mean I have to replace the entire dizzy? Just the cap? I am thinking the coil fired or something like that, can I just replace the coil?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well I guess you could start by replacing the coil. Looks like they run for about $70 online. I've never taken an integra's dizzy apart but I imagine you can replace the coil fairly easily.

K I don't know how to post pics so idk if this will work:

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
^^^^^^^^^^yea you dont wana be a parts changer. i would suspect the icm way b4 the coil.

soto2635

i had the same problem check ur plugs and wires and make sure ur not leaking oil that was my problem over all

95LS_Special

No oil on the plugs, I just bought a new dizzy and a new roter, the cap looks good tho.

I would tell you if it worked but I am waiting for a buddy to get here to jump me, I cranked it to much and killed the battery.

95LS_Special

It seems to be running pretty well. I am not sure about the timing; I put it back where I think the old one was. How do I check the timing?

Also, the dizzy seems to be making a rattling sound. It sounds like its coming from where the dizzy connects to engine. I took it back off and put some motor oil on it but still seems to be dong this. Do I just need to break it in?