Rear brake caliper pins froze

mjones73

Anyone have a suggestion for getting a stuck caliper pin free? I have one frozen on each rear bracket.

navysailor956

Wow! That's so funny bro cuz I totally had that problem last week. It was a pain getting em out. I had 2 drill through the first one 2 get it out. Then when I was trying 2 get the top n bottom pins where the bolts go in I had 2 use a torch 2 heat em up so they would come out. Neways, if your very careful. Use a torch 2 heat the pin and then u can hammer it out no problem. If not just drill through it carefully and get a replacement pin from the hardware store. Hope that helps. I struggled 4 hours with those damn pins. Lol.

mjones73

It's the pin the caliper bolts to, it's supposed to be able to slide in and out of the caliper bracket, it's stuck instead. I have it soaking now.

navysailor956

So once you get the E-brake pin out. Then take the whole caliper, Put it on a clamp. Get a torch and heat it for a couple of seconds. That will cause the metal 2 expand. Then just use some pliers n twist n pull at the same time. They'll come out no problem. Make sure 2 grease up the new pins real good so that next time u have no problem.

mjones73

I don't need to take the caliper off the car, it's the bracket the caliper bolts to that's the problem. The one you take off after the caliper so you can get the rotor off...

I'm gonna see if my neighbor will let me use his torch tomorrow, these suckers won't budge.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
make sure the ebrake handle is down :what:

lol!!

mirrorimg

I had one that was frozen. Took my massive (sike) arms and some vice grips to get it out. Would have been nice to have a bench vise though.

Take your time, wiggle it back and forth. Eventually it will have enough play to make bigger rotations, and when it does you can put some pressure on it to pull it out as you turn back and forth.

navysailor956

I don't need to take the caliper off the car, it's the bracket the caliper bolts to that's the problem. The one you take off after the caliper so you can get the rotor off...

I'm gonna see if my neighbor will let me use his torch tomorrow, these suckers won't budge.
Yeah, sorry that's what I meant. The calibee bracket has 2 pins which the caliper bolts into. If u heat up the outside of the pins, which is actually the caliper bracket, then they'll come out. My bad.

mjones73

A lot of heat and there out! Now I just need to replace the bad caliper and put it all back together.

mjones73

I had to use the dremel to clean up the brackets so the new pins would slide smoothly in them. Got them all greased up with new boots and back on the car tonight. It's nice having working back brakes again. Between the pin and the bad caliper it was constantly applying the inner pad and the outer never touched the rotor. It chewed the inner pad down to nothing quickly as a result.