b18a1, good motor?

mirrorimg

What do you mean?

They are good motors that get you from point A to B. They can be turbo'd (like any other motor), are relatively inexpensive, and make poor power N/A.

JGvtec

depending on what your going to use it for. Like jason said any motor can be turbo'd all out integra's make poor power. :rolf:

buymysoul

I don't believe that Honda made their engines sentient until around 1994 (with the exception of the NSX) so the B18A1 has no moral standing or political agenda one way or the other. The B18C line of engines though are a crap shoot. The ones with serial numbers after 28405439P were made to be good and caring and loving to all those they encountered. The ones before that could go either way though -- in Honda enthusiast circles the discussions all devolve into nature vs. nurture arguments.

When Honda started selling their own branded fluids, they claimed that only by using them and original OEM parts could you prevent an Engine from becoming evil and destroying all mankind, but everyone knows that is just typical Japanese overhype like so many Godzilla reruns.

I hope that answers your question.

Prozon

Kris
The B18A1 is just as good as the B18B1. The only difference was the head. The B1's had a better flowing head, that's about it.

MrDB1integra

honda greaser
Does it make the most power at lower or higher rpms? I have a SRI on now. If I have more lower end power ill throw on a CAI

Prozon

Kris
Horsepower:
90-91: 130hp @ 6000 rpm
92-93: 140hp @ 6300 rpm

Torque:
90-91: 121 ft.-lbs @ 5000 rpm
92-93: 127 ft.-lbs @ 5000 rpm

Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
Redline: 7000 rpm

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
Lol stormnorman I'm sure you know by now but did you realize your directional rims aren't matching the same direction side to side? not really a performance thing just a look things and it looks a little funny...good set of winter rims tho mine are just steelys

SnD3

Now another question related to these engines. Assuming the A1 and B1 are similar bolt patters, would you see any gains from making the engine a hybrid, and putting the B1 head on an A1 block? I would assume, it would be the same as putting an a B1 engine into the car itself. Right?

stormnorman

Lol stormnorman I'm sure you know by now but did you realize your directional rims aren't matching the same direction side to side? not really a performance thing just a look things and it looks a little funny...good set of winter rims tho mine are just steelys
yeah i know haha. came like that with the car. bout to go get me some ls webs though. :D

Now another question related to these engines. Assuming the A1 and B1 are similar bolt patters, would you see any gains from making the engine a hybrid, and putting the B1 head on an A1 block? I would assume, it would be the same as putting an a B1 engine into the car itself. Right?
Don't even waste your time doing this.

SnD3

Don't even waste your time doing this.
What are the reasons? Are there any? And, what would you suggest I do, as far as an engine goes? My motor is beyond wore out, with over 320,XXX miles on the clock! Sorry to hijack the thread... lol

What are the reasons? Are there any? And, what would you suggest I do, as far as an engine goes? My motor is beyond wore out, with over 320,XXX miles on the clock! Sorry to hijack the thread... lol
Changing heads with such minute differences isn't worth the cost of parts or effort. Just swap in a motor with lower miles or rebuild the one you have.

SnD3

Changing heads with such minute differences isn't worth the cost of parts or effort. Just swap in a motor with lower miles or rebuild the one you have.
If rebuilding this one is worth it, which I think it is, since it is indeed a B18A1, would it cost just about as much as a whole different motor? I don't know much about my integra except that it's got a ton of miles, and it leaks oil really quickly... No oil in the water, or water in the oil... So I assume the head gasket hasn't been blown... And last time it was repaired, the top end was the only set of seals replaced... So I assume something down stairs is in dire need or some kind of TLC...

Just trying to figure out what to do, since 320k seems like a lot of miles, to me! I don't want to risk dropping a grand into rebuilding it, to find it was pointless, and the motor blow up on me... lol You know?