Walbro Fuel Pump Install with pics!

LittleB10

Hey guys! I just got done doing a install of Walbro 255 fuel pump. Most people say its a pia to do it but i didnt think it was that bad. A couple things that made it easier for me was that I damn near ran the car dry...i'd say maybe a gallon left in tank...so tank wasnt that heavy and easy to man handle lol and then for the tank strap bolts...i had to cut one of mine it was rusted to s***...so I used 3/8 carriage bolts with new washers, nuts...a little bigger and stronger...believe stock bolts are 1/4 or 5/16? anyways then I HEATed them up and bent them 90 degrees. Also put washer in front of the head of the bolts just to add extra protection from going through frame when reinstalled and they fit perfect. Did a fuel pump on a buddy's civic hatch and we had a hell of a time with the straps cause of his bolts. So definitely heat and bend new ones at 90 degrees and the straps go on and off with ease. Underneath the car wasn't as rusty as i thought and have seen worse for 20 yr old car. I would have liked to put in new fuel tank but one the one i got is ok and no too bad of shape. lol Fuel pump works great and only has loud hum when car is turned on and can't hear when driving but maybe due to the loud exhaust (greddy racing ti-c) lol. The company I got the pump from did not send me the rubber cover that goes on the end of the fuel pump...didn't think it would hurt anything so I installed it without it...thats why i doesn't sit as flush as it should in the holder (see pic). One last thing my car is a 90 LS and to end the debate... fuel pump is NOT underneath back seat... maybe different for other years and models? I dunno..wish it was though. Lol Enjoy! Later guys!

sending unit; underneath back seat

old, rusty and broken tank straps and bolts.

fuel tank..a little rusty but not bad side fuel lines needed replaced.

Underneath car body shot. not too shabby.

fuel pump out and off holding bracket.

Stock fuel pump compared to Walbro 255 pump.

Connected and wired walbro to bracket! No bottom rubber cover as mentioned but filter fits snug inside at bottom of bracket. Also put the provided pump cover on but pump wouldnt slide into it so I cut it and wrapped it around pump and stays together securely.

Tank up in car!

Greddy Racing Ti-C catback exhaust! I love greddy and sounds sweet!

Another pic of Greddy!

older pic of my teggy!

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Yeah it's alot harder on pre 3rd generations. On 94-01's all you have to do is take out the rear seat.

LittleB10

thanks man. im sure i could have gone more in depth with details but its pretty straight forward process. Also had a handy haynes manual for reference. As for the wheels....they are knock offs of some older rim,..not sure of what though. they came with the car when i bought it...the black is still in good condition but the chrome lip needs some tlc. lol

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
thanks man. im sure i could have gone more in depth with details but its pretty straight forward process. Also had a handy haynes manual for reference. As for the wheels....they are knock offs of some older rim,..not sure of what though. they came with the car when i bought it...the black is still in good condition but the chrome lip needs some tlc. lol
nice write up, like my 91 civic, its the same way. those wheels are badass, let me know if you ever want to get rid of them.

Last edited:

LittleB10

Now try installing 2 walbros into your tank next time and tell me how easy it is lol
LMAO! Two?!!! Um yea custom work for sure, wiring would be straight forward though...as far as finding a place for second pump? good luck! lol....why would u ever need two? maybe if it was straight up race engine with twin turbos? Or Maybe kinda like that one guy from the mischief (tekademics) movies that had the dark grey skyline gtr and his trunk was a huge fuel cell and ran off of premium gas with the addition of jet fighter fuel. I cant remember which one it was from either 3, 4, or 5. Guess I'll have to watch them all! haha thanks guys for the input! next week is headgasket and hopefully this weekend is start of a camber kit all way around and right side calipers f & r! and for the wheels they have kinda grown on me but still undecided on what to do with them. later guys!

LittleB10

ok guy from nerk....now i see why u said two walbro pumps...lol......absolutely sick build man! or as cartmen would say thats Hella sweet! Seeing how im fairly new to this forum and just clicked ur build thread.....u still got the teg and hows the car running?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Haha yeah I still have it, runs good (only on 6psi currently). Gonna crank boost up and dyno tune it here soon, just waiting on a fitting from precision and my dumptube that broke to get back from go-autoworks.

LittleB10

i hope u crank up the boost...with that build it would be a shame not too! lol just dont blow it up but if u do im calling dibs on some parts right now! lmao! turbo is this upcoming spring project for me but right now i have to figure out a way to get some body work done.

ls_briggs

I know this post is old, but I am trying to install a fuel pump on my 90 integra ls and I cant get the fuel tank lowered, I removed the straps and unplugged the sending unit. Do I need to remove the sending unit first? is there any fuel lines I need to disconnect first?