fuel problem? maybe?

Prozach909

i have an 89 integra ls 3 door 5 speed
my car starts just fine every damn time and the fuel pump primes nice (quiet but loud enough to know its working) BUT i have been having a problem with my car after driving for 5-10 minutes... fuel pump starts struggling and sounding like a duck (even worse with blinker on)... when she starts its normal then after driving and listening closely it starts making the noise lightly and intermittent at first but then full time with patches of silence
the engine begins to get real boggy and weak then the engine starts to cut out and sputter and i can not accelerate and the gas pedal becomes unresponsive
i have tried 3 different brands of brand new fuel pumps, new fuel filter, sea foam in the gas tank and no change i even checked the cat converter its fine
i have no idea what it could be... any ideas?
i noticed a burnt electrical plug in my engine compartment fuse box... and if i unplug it the fuel pump does not prime. However i have no idea what the plug is for and cannot for the life of me find a diagram for the engine compartment fuse box

any and all help is appreciated

Prozach909

I thought might be the regulator but i skipped it for now becuase it was a little more expensive than i expected so i will wait for payday for that one

I would love to post the pics i got but i am new here.. what is the easiest way to post them?

Im sure its in another thread but i would like to get a few more replies on my thread so it looks more important and catches more peoples eyes ;]

Thanks

Ryan659

Test the fuel pressure regulator before you replace it then.

Also, to post pics you have to upload them to a hosting website, like photobucket, and then copy and paste the img link here.

Your post won't go unnoticed here.

Prozach909

Glad to not be going unnoticed lol

Ok i will set up a photobucket then and upload the photos tonight on the computer

As for the fuel pressure regulator, what is the testing procedure?

Prozach909

engine compartment fuse box
the 15 amp is labeled for efi

male prongs in fuse box

female connectors on plug are covered in silicon grease i believe?

and what i believe to be a fut burn mark on the back side of the plug with female connectors
and this is the plug that i disconnect and will cause the fuel pump to not prime

UPDATE: i have noticed that as my engine is sputtering and nearly stalling, my car will throw code 01 as well as the code 17 (vss) that i have always had. i dont know if it throws a code 01 because it is sputtering or if the code 01 is why it is sputtering

Prozach909

Any thoughts on the pictures I've posted?
Any thoughts in general as where my problem could be?

Also how do i go about testing the fuel pressure regulator or my injectors?

Prozach909

I tried a used fuse box from a friend's car that works perfectly fine so its not the box... haven't tried a new plug yet becuase i can't find one.

Would i be able to just cut the plug and put on 2 female connectors that slide on to the male ones in the fuse box?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I don't think its your injectors. I think you're on the right track with the fuel pump and wiring.
Two things you want to test
1.) Voltage on the fuel pump wire when its running. I suspect its less than 12v due to the resistance of the burnt wire.
To do this locate which pin is the hot wire of the fuel pump plug. Stick your multimeter probe in it to contact the pin or just jab a pointy end through the insulation (make sure to tape it up)
2.)If the voltage test is not conclusive then you need to measure fuel pressure. They make fuel pressure gauges that plug into your fuel filter. I suspect the fuel pump is struggling to maintain fuel pressure which explains the dying sound its making and lack of power.

Ultimately you should replace that entire fuse box and that connector. It may be easier to direct wire the pump but make sure to use a relay to switch it and always put a fuse inline. 10amp is enough for stock pump.

Prozach909

thanks for the response muckman!

i will find my volt meter and test the voltage tomorrow and if it isnt below 12v then i will go and rent a fuel pressure gauge from the beloved autozone

and ofcourse i will report my findings here

Prozach909

and if it is the connector i definetly plan on getting a new fuse box and wiring, i just dont want to go to a junkyard and buy it if it isnt the root of my problems or causing any other ones.

And i am still considering to direct wire it but i want to set it up to a switch (kind of a like a low key kill switch)