Car smokes bad only when i first start it up, what kind of oil should i use?

Aceofspades

Its time for an oil change, i have been using mobil 10-30 conventional oil because the car like to smoke on start up. it has gotten alot better after adding oil additives.

some history of the car: Bought the car from the original owner (1 owner car) he did the regular maintenence but nothing more. sold the car because one of the number 2 valves had a huge hole in it. spent 700$ having a very good honda tech replace the valve. he also informed me that the valves were way to tight and could have be the cause of the number 2 valve going bad, returned the valves to spec and changed the oil with mobil 1 5:30 when he droped it off, imdiatly notice a better running engine but once it sat and i started it , it smoked , really badly. I changed the oil to mobil conventional 10:30 to help with the (what i assumed was) oil seeping into the combustion chamber. it still smoked. after further research i found that the valve seals could have been the root cause of the smoke during first startup soo i added an oil additive that was to help with oil seals leaking ( car leaked/used about 1.5 quarts a week till i added this now its down to about 1 or less quarts a week) car still smokes just not as bad. I would like to prolong the life of this engine as long as possible and if possible get rid of the smoke on start up.

Question: should i go back to synthetic mobil 1 5:30 or stay with conventional mobil 10:30 , also if i should stay with conventional 10:30 i assume there are probably better brands then mobil to help adress the issue with seeping oil into the combustion chamber if soo, some tips would be apreciated. Lastly I have looked up many oil additives to help with oil leaking and burning issues, one name pops up alot for good results "blue devil oil additive" anyone with experiance with this additive can give me their opions would be apreciated, thank you .

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Dude you have bad valve seals, replacing them is the only thing that will fix the problem.

Also that's some Honda technician there, replaces a valve and doesn't notice old leaky valve seals. Or he screwed up the valve job, you never said it smoked before all this.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

well he did losen the valves back to honda specs , acording to him they were way too tight, and probably the cause of the bad valve. I didn't pay him for anything else as i didnt have the money and need the car to drive to work asap. I will not place blame on the mechanic, he did what he was payed to do. The question was reguarding if "Blue Devil" oil additive would help with the valve seal leak and wether or not a thicker oil would actualy help the issue. I apreciate your response but it didn't address either of the questions I posed. I understand the only real "fix" is replacing the valve seals , unfortinatly that is not an option atm.

Update however, I used the blue devil additive, oil leaking seems to have slowed even further and the smoking is ...... less noticable but still there. I still am curious if a synthetic blend would leak more then a conventional and if i should just use a cheaper highmilage oil or if the more expensive ones do help with burning oil?

I am not looking for a mirical answer, I am sure a rebuild is more then due, but the rebuild i have in mind will run 3k or more. thats 900 more then what i spent on the car itself. This car is and will continue to be my daily driver. Ultimate goal (altho this is not relevant to my question) is 250 whp tops. turbo charged ls b18 (the engine thats in it now) with top notch internals to maintain reliability. I have been told from other turbo ls owners that the gas milage can go up with a small turbo (given you can fight the urge to smash on the gas) this is exactly what im looking for and so i intend to save up money soo i can just do the one rebuild and call it a day for the next 300,000 miles. Hense the reason i am looking for safe and effective ways to remove the smoking issue.

I will ask that if you have nothing constructive to add to this thread , please do not post. Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Nick_C78

You aren't going to fix the smoking issue if its valve seals or rings. Getting thicker oils and playing chemist with additives will just cause more harm to your internals.

However, have you tried changing your PCV valve yet? I am leaning towards valve seals, but you can always just replace the PCV, its only a few dollars. Might help slightly.

Aceofspades

i have thought of that too.. pretty sure it is the valve seals too but if it helps , it certainly can't hurt :) ty . also, i am very carefull as to what additives i use, blue devil is very highly recomended by all the repitable mechanics who have used it, ( that i personally know) its just really expensive ($20 a bottle >< ) i don't "play chemist" lightly. also soo you are saying going to factory 5w30 synthetic blend mobil 1 would be just as safe or safer then mobil's "super high millage 10w30" conventional given the oil seep issues with the valve seals? please clearify , still learning, and usefull facts are always..... well usefull. thank you.

Nick_C78

I would go to a High mileage 10w-40 conventional with no additives. That's just me. However it is getting colder and depending where you live 40 might be bad, but just don't go 20w-50 or something crazy. 40 is the max you should use.

Aceofspades

thank you. currently running mobil super, high millage 10w30 . figure its as close to factory as i will get till the rebuild. unless you can recomend a diffrent highmilage

Nick_C78

Thats fine. Mobil is always a good bet. Just baby the car. The perks about it getting colder is they can't tell if its smoke or steam.