Brake lights won't go on on my 96 integra. Help!!!

Jey96Teggy

So As I was driving today I notice that my brake lights won't go on. I already check the fuse boxes the bulbs and the brake switch. Anybody could help me figure out what could be causing this ? Thanks in advace for ur help!

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
How did you check everything that you mentioned? Proper way would be with a volt meter for the brake switch, and replacing current bulbs/fuses with known working bulbs/fuses. Especially with bulbs, they may look okay but still be causing problems, and replacement bulbs and fuses are cheap.
Once those are ruled out as the cause, check for corrosion in the bulb sockets and make sure the contacts are all in good shape.
Next step would be to start tracing wires and look for anything that could cause a short or any broken insulation. Corrosion will cause large amounts of resistance on the wire and prevent the circuit form working correctly.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Do the parking lights come on? Turn signals work? Emergency flashers work? That would prove the bulbs and wiring are ok. I don't know what actuates the brake light switch but that would be my next suspect.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Do the parking lights come on? Turn signals work? Emergency flashers work? That would prove the bulbs and wiring are ok. I don't know what actuates the brake light switch but that would be my next suspect.
Just because the indicator lights are working doesn't mean the brake light wires or bulbs are fine. They use separate bulbs, sockets, and wires. The only thing they might share is a fuse, but I'm doubtful they do.
Brake light switch is basically a button that is pushed by the brake pedal, very simple mechanism. There are no other mechanical or electrical actuators for the brake lights to turn on.

If your tail lights come on with the headlights, that would prove the fuse is good and wiring is very likely good. Most likely cause would be bad bulbs or corroded/bad bulb sockets.

Murphy

Meat Master
Replace the bulbs, they are di-resistor bulbs. The brake lights are brighter than the tail lights and typically burn out first.