Radiator With No Cap?

DA9vid

**Former** Civic Owner
RX7 have them. I'm sure all cars do. The cap is probably just located somewhere else. It's probably a DSM radiator. DSM's don't have radiator caps on the actual radiator

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/member.php?find=lastposter&f=28
Jetta's don't. They use a closed system. The have a reservoir that you fill and the hose runs from that to the radiator. I had a 91 Jetta that had no radiator cap, so yes some cars DO NOT have rad caps. Here is a pic. You fill it in the blue cap on the round reservoir, the the tube runs underneath to the radiator. See, there is no rad cap.

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
GM does it on like 95% of their vehicles.

They just pressurize the entire system including the overflow tank

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
So many possibilities... I'm gonna see if I can get the answer out of him. It's bothering me not knowing what car the radiator belongs too.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
What does it look like^ Did you look at my radiator in my profile pic?

Jetta's don't. They use a closed system. The have a reservoir that you fill and the hose runs from that to the radiator. I had a 91 Jetta that had no radiator cap, so yes some cars DO NOT have rad caps.
GM does it on like 95% of their vehicles.

They just pressurize the entire system including the overflow tank
If they pressurize the whole system like that then they use the overflow tank to release excessive pressure. I may not be an actual radiator cap but it serves the same function or else you are driving around with a pressure bomb

DA9vid

**Former** Civic Owner
What does it look like^ Did you look at my radiator in my profile pic?

If they pressurize the whole system like that then they use the overflow tank to release excessive pressure. I may not be an actual radiator cap but it serves the same function or else you are driving around with a pressure bomb
True. But if you just see the radiator it does not have a cap and only 2 holes for the hoses. We are not talking about 1 in a car, we are talking about 1 just sitting around. So to answer the OP's question, there are car's that do not have a cap on the radiator.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
True. But if you just see the radiator it does not have a cap and only 2 holes for the hoses. We are not talking about 1 in a car, we are talking about 1 just sitting around. So to answer the OP's question, there are car's that do not have a cap on the radiator.
Well I know that. My car doesn't have one on the radiator. But it's up by the thermostat, I just meant that they all use some form of cap for pressure release. Cars like the Jetta just vent through the reservoir cap

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
^man your car is ugly =p
The engine bay is. Its too colorful. I liked it when I first did it but the colors seem a little loud after a while. I'm planning to powdercoat everything that is colored in the engine bay and my brake calipers a dark titanium metallic color whenever I get the motivation to pull everyone of those things off and do it at once. Plus I just bought some new stuff that's going to get the same treatment :D