integra ls rebuild and turbo question???

USAFdad120108

ok so I have a 94 ls with 200k miles that i want to rebuild and turbo. I plan on peicing a kit together myself cause i hear it cheaper and you can get quality parts unlike a egay turbo kit. My goal is 200-250 hp and my budget is 3k. I only plan on running like 8-10 psi so and hear that a "fresh" rebuild would be ok and maybe some eagle rods, arp head bolts and a cometic head gasket now what I was wondering what exactly does a "fresh" rebuild??? My dad is a master mechanic and is going to help me rebuild the motor but idk if i need to replace all the internals on the motor like crank,pistons,valves etc or will they be ok if i just strengthen some of the weak parts in the bottom end since thats what i hear goes first. also it is my dd so i dont really want it to break down thanks

Last edited:

USAFdad120108

I really need help with this please guys what all should I replace as far as internal since im on a budget build before I turbo my ls??

Stopsign32v

Best advice you can get is don't get in a hurry and search and read everything you can. Sounds like from what you say you have alot to learn. BTW...Boost + head bolts = nono

Coney

Spacely
Whats wrong with some arp head studs? i heard of quite a few people doing just that to there internals before boosting to prevent headlift

USAFdad120108

well in a nutshell what i wanted to know was 1- will my head be ok for 8-10 lbs of boost and 2- since thats im only pushing that much boost what do I need to replace in the internals so I dont blow my motor? Im open to al suggestions and just want everyones opinion on what they would do

corona88

well in a nutshell what i wanted to know was 1- will my head be ok for 8-10 lbs of boost and 2- since thats im only pushing that much boost what do I need to replace in the internals so I dont blow my motor? Im open to al suggestions and just want everyones opinion on what they would do
mines completely stock and handles 10psi/~220whp great....we are turning up the boost to hit ~250-270whp here in the winter because its been running great for the past year without an issue. To answer your question you can handle 10psi/up to 300whp on a stock everything as long as you have the proper tune and fuel management, get a great tuner and great software and you should be okay. if you were wanting to replace pistons and rods go with low compression pistons to strengthen your block as well a good set of rods, sleeving your block would be nice but for your power goals you have in mind that wont be needed unless you want 350(+)whp some time soon. Now you dont need to replace you internals now if you dont want to, basically the way I would do it is if the compression and leak-down test come out great, boost it. Then when it does blow up replace the needed parts and since you'll be inside the block (More than Likely) change internals.....save time and money.

USAFdad120108

mines completely stock and handles 10psi/~220whp great....we are turning up the boost to hit ~250-270whp here in the winter because its been running great for the past year without an issue. To answer your question you can handle 10psi/up to 300whp on a stock everything as long as you have the proper tune and fuel management, get a great tuner and great software and you should be okay. if you were wanting to replace pistons and rods go with low compression pistons to strengthen your block as well a good set of rods, sleeving your block would be nice but for your power goals you have in mind that wont be needed unless you want 350(+)whp some time soon. Now you dont need to replace you internals now if you dont want to, basically the way I would do it is if the compression and leak-down test come out great, boost it. Then when it does blow up replace the needed parts and since you'll be inside the block (More than Likely) change internals.....save time and money.
so even though my motor has 200k miles if the compression and leakdown test are good? it would be safe to boost? its my daily driver and I really dont want it to break down on me. What should I use as far as fuel management wise?????

Coney

Spacely
If it makes good compression then its probably safe to go ahead and boost on stock internals people usually dont go past 8-10 pounds. how do you plan on getting it tuned? (Shop, Chrome, etc.)

USAFdad120108

If it makes good compression then its probably safe to go ahead and boost on stock internals people usually dont go past 8-10 pounds. how do you plan on getting it tuned? (Shop, Chrome, etc.)
oh ya I will get it tuned at a shop I have no idea how to do it myself, what should I get for engine managment? I dont think I can afford a stand alone fuel managment system or anything like that so what should I get?