Job offer + Turbo offer = Questions

Peeples

One of my father's good friends offered me a spring and summer job at his business, his hobby is making his Mazda Speed 3 extremely fast. He has the hook up with company's and told me he would put a Turbo in my STOCK 96 LS and some pocket cash if I'm willing to do some work. So I obviously don't want to turn that offer down. :thumbs up

This will be my only car and first car so I will not gut it or really do any weight reduction, It is all stock ATM and most likely will stay that way inless I/H/E is an option for me :)

My question's are:

What turbo setup would be reliable?

You can put around 300hp with a 7psi turbo on stock header with upgraded plugs and what not without harming anything correct?

Also anything else I need to know or any knowledge would be great :)

Last edited:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
if its your only car, i suggest not going boost. pick up a cheap, reliable civic hatch for a daily before going that route.

mjones73

Ideally with the proper tune you can push up to 300hp out of a stock motor. I'd suggest a compression and leak down test first.

Also turbos aren't rated by the amount of boost they can push.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
well they are rated by the max, mine will push 35psi if i run w/o a wastegate lol.

but i doubt you would efficiently get 300hp from 7psi on any size turbo on a stock motor.

with a t3/t4 .57 turbo you would need about 12-13 psi to reach 300

Prozon

Kris
First of all, with a stock exhaust manifold/header what do you plan to bolt the turbo to? You need to buy a new manifold for the turbo.

Secondly 300hp is about the maximum you should run. I'm planning to run 7psi on my T3/T4 turbo and with my fuel set up and the tune it's estimated to run about 230-245hp. We will see what the dyno says next month though.

There's a lot more into this then just slapping on a turbo. Upgrading the exhaust is important, getting quality parts, ect ect..
Before you do anything do preform a leakdown and compression test on your engine to see if it's even healthy enough to handle a turbo.

A turbo kind of is part of I/H/E. The intake and header would be taken car of by the turbo, and the exhaust should be upgraded to 3" for maximum performance.

If your looking for a kit, look at turbonetics. From what I hear they're the best. I did however read an eBay turbo write up and they've put over 20k miles on a stock motor with the ebay turbo and it's still running strong. If you know what you're doing then go for it.

Anyways, I am by far not the best turbo related person to be answering questions, so i'll wait until someone else chimes in.

Edit:
And from what my tuner tells me, Tam is right. About 300hp on 13psi with my turbo. (But at that PSI, you will need to upgrade your MAP sensor as well.)

Last edited:

Peeples

First of all, with a stock exhaust manifold/header what do you plan to bolt the turbo to? You need to buy a new manifold for the turbo.

Secondly 300hp is about the maximum you should run. I'm planning to run 7psi on my T3/T4 turbo and with my fuel set up and the tune it's estimated to run about 230-245hp. We will see what the dyno says next month though.

There's a lot more into this then just slapping on a turbo. Upgrading the exhaust is important, getting quality parts, ect ect..
Before you do anything do preform a leakdown and compression test on your engine to see if it's even healthy enough to handle a turbo.

A turbo kind of is part of I/H/E. The intake and header would be taken car of by the turbo, and the exhaust should be upgraded to 3" for maximum performance.

If your looking for a kit, look at turbonetics. From what I hear they're the best. I did however read an eBay turbo write up and they've put over 20k miles on a stock motor with the ebay turbo and it's still running strong. If you know what you're doing then go for it.

Anyways, I am by far not the best turbo related person to be answering questions, so i'll wait until someone else chimes in.

Edit:
And from what my tuner tells me, Tam is right. About 300hp on 13psi with my turbo. (But at that PSI, you will need to upgrade your MAP sensor as well.)
Thanks for the information, I don't want to push 200+. 180 - 200 would be perfectly fine with me.

How come a 03 Jetta can carry a 8 lb turbo on all factory and still run reliable? My friend has one and came factory with the turbo and his is running close to 100k miles, Im guessing theres a huge difference in Factory and After market.

Peeples

if its your only car, i suggest not going boost. pick up a cheap, reliable civic hatch for a daily before going that route.
16 and no job ATM.

My friend is coming to install it for me if anyone. He has 2 Hatch Backed 2 door daily driver's ( One boosted and one not ), a 00 2 door racing civic si that he runs up @ VIR in virgina and that one is all motor and runs like 10 sec 1/4 or something quick ( Not 100% sure ) and a family 4 door 00 civic si that has I/H/E and coil overs ECT.... around 300K in parts in his garage.

But I have unbelievable help when it comes to Honda

Prozon

Kris
Different size turbo's put out different power.
I'll assume stock turbo's don't produce as much power.
(Not to mention it's a completely different engine.)

Coney

Spacely
you could do it and run low boost for the time being until you have money to make it more powerful while staying reliable. pending it makes good compression and such

94LS-TEG

Non-Vtec
Thanks for the information, I don't want to push 200+. 180 - 200 would be perfectly fine with me.

How come a 03 Jetta can carry a 8 lb turbo on all factory and still run reliable? My friend has one and came factory with the turbo and his is running close to 100k miles, Im guessing theres a huge difference in Factory and After market.
The reason for this is because the engines are designed and engineered to be able to handle this turbo. They are tuned correctly by professionals and tested vigorously before sending out for the public to purchase.

Even with all this testing and shit there are still a good number of these cars with turbo related engine failure.

Peeples

The reason for this is because the engines are designed and engineered to be able to handle this turbo. They are tuned correctly by professionals and tested vigorously before sending out for the public to purchase.

Even with all this testing and shit there are still a good number of these cars with turbo related engine failure.
That was just my guess, thanks for the explanation. :eek:k:

Peeples

you could do it and run low boost for the time being until you have money to make it more powerful while staying reliable. pending it makes good compression and such
Can I do this?!?

This is just what I would like to do, Just a turbo that gives a great pull from 0 - 60

Because my :no: tickets or i'm out of a $300 insurance I cant pay a month.

94LS-TEG

Non-Vtec
Can I do this?!?

This is just what I would like to do, Just a turbo that gives a great pull from 0 - 60

Because my :no: tickets or i'm out of a $300 insurance I cant pay a month.

Try a gt17 or gt28. They are small enough to be safe at low boost and pull just fine. Alot of the civic guys i know are running these. Seem to be very reliable to WITH PROPER TUNE. Just so ya know you need to be tuned very well to gain any power SAFELY.:)

Prozon

Kris
If your planning on running only 200hp or so, you should be fine. However you will need to get it tuned regardless. You might call around a few shops and see what they charge. I'm looking at $480 for a basemap and then a complete dyno tune.