engine revs itself! please help!

max!

Max
I don't do anything to make my car faster or cooler, just mainly to drive around and get to school and work, and its been perfect until about a month ago when I noticed that after driving for a little, the engine often revs itself and the idle bounces from about 1200 to 2000 rpms, back and forth at a constant pace for as long as its in nuetral. I've heard it could be problems with one of the sensors but I don't want to jump to conclusions. I don't know if or how much this has to do with it, but i've had alot of issues with coolant lines leaking and just had to put a new radiator in but fixing them never seems to effect the idle problem. Overall, its extremely annoying and is really killing my gas so if anyone can help me out i would appreciate it so much! :)

jdean41

Clean your idle air control valve and throttle body and c if that works. thats what happened to my tegg.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
It sounds like a broken vacuum line. I instaled a breather on mine and before I pluged the hole in the intake manifold it was reving itself. The leak would have to be after the air sensor. If it's a hose it's going to be the one going from your valve cover to your intake manifold. Also check the gasket? I'm not sure if that would cause it

Cman46290

could be numerous things. I would check coolant level first.... and make sure you have no air in the cooling system.

Then clean out the IAC valve... and check vacuum lines/hoses.... throttle body.... ect ect

max!

Max
Thanks guys, my friend cleaned out the throttle body awhile ago actually and i thought that was it, but it started acting up again the day after, and he tested it to see if there was a vacuum leak and there wasnt any. I've been having alot of problems with my coolant lines, and sunday im replacing pretty much the rest of them. Hopefully after all the hoses have been replaced (ive had to replace like 3 in the past month) then the remaining air in the system should work its way out, if not ill go about it from there.

WAR 178

Premium User
change your thermostat? It could be getting sticky, causing it to remain open and the motor not staying at operating temp?
All plays a factor with the hoses,Iacv,vac,tb,etc. g/l