Possible automatic transmission issues

newtype

I have a 1998 GS w/ auto and I think the tranny may be going on me. I feel as though the car is taking too long to change gears, as the rpms get to about 3500-4000 before it will shift sometimes. Also, when going around corners, the car seems to feel like it's dropping a gear and then playing catch up to get back to where it was. Is this normal? In the manual, it states that sometimes the automatic transmission will shift gears at higher speeds to warm the engine up quicker (page 135), but I don't know how this relates to the rpms.

Car only has a little over 80k, so I really hope it's not serious :cry:

1LiterTerror

I got 257k on mine so you might be ok lol.. but anyway ya mine does this sometimes it takes awhile to shift and I feel it's gonna crap out on me any time now but it still keeps going and going.

newtype

Check the fluid level for starters. Make sure it doesn't smell burnt either.
Fluid level is right where it needs to be, and nothing smells burnt.

Driving to work this morning, if I give it gas/let off on the gas at the right time, it doesn't have issues changing gears at higher rpms. :???:

In any case, does anyone know at what rpms the car should be shifting? Is shifting at 3500-4000 too much for driving under about 70mph?

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
You need to have the line pressure adjusted. There is a cable going from your throttle body to the tranny. If you have the tool to measure the play, you can adjust it yourself. But don't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing. I bet it's fairly cheap to have the dealer do it.

newtype

You need to have the line pressure adjusted. There is a cable going from your throttle body to the tranny. If you have the tool to measure the play, you can adjust it yourself. But don't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing. I bet it's fairly cheap to have the dealer do it.
Sounds like good advice. I'll be sure to get it checked tomorrow.

Thanks -