Starter problems

Zarkzies

Hello everyone on Club Integra, this is my first post and I wanted your guys help.

I own a 94 Integra LS
Here's the problem:
When I put the key in the ignition, turn it over, nothing happens.
We think the starter is engaging but it is not turning the flywheel. I can turn the key and lights, come on and so does the fan, when I turn it to start the fan cuts off but there is no attempt for the car to turn over.

I've checked the battery, all of my fuses, connections, I even hot wired the battery straight to the starter and it will spin but not engage.

Does anybody have any ideas if the starter is just bad or is there a way to tell? I took the starter off and opened up the solenoid. I couldn't get into the starter itself because the 3 screws on top were stripped.

SoundEfx

Seeing that the screws were stripped, I would think that someone tried to 'fix' it before and possibly failed.

What do you mean the starter would spin, but not engage?

Last edited:

Zarkzies

Good point, and when we hot wired cables from the battery terminal and hooked the opposite to the starter itself, it sounded like the starter isn't engaging the flywheel but just spins. It sounded like a toy spinning.

osiris19

Starters work in two steps. There's an electric motor, and a solenoid. From what you're telling us, the electric motor is spinning, but the solenoid is not actuating and pushing the pinion toward the flywheel. Is this correct?

If so, you can test it by running a jumper wire from the positive of the battery to the solenoid connector wire (black connector closest to distributor). Be sure to either unplug your injectors or disable your ignition to prevent the car from starting so you can accurately test the starter.

osiris19

Haha trying to help out the best I can and I have the helms manual on my phone.

Murphy

Meat Master
I work at advanced auto parts. You can pull off the starter, bring it in and they'll test it for free.

Zarkzies

Thanks everyone for the help, when I go back home this weekend I will be using that guide, and I'll also go to my nearest auto shop and get it tested.

Zarkzies

Alright everyone, back with info. Osiris19 I did followed the diagram and it started right up when I bypasses the ignition switch, so now that I have figured out what it is, do you have a diagram for that or what to do?

osiris19

Since it started right up, check to make sure your clutch safety switch (manual trans) or neutral safety switch (automatic trans) is operating properly. To test this, bypass the switch and try starting the car with the key.

If that test passes and the car starts, you found your problem.

Zarkzies

Osiris19, do you by chance have a tutorial on how to bypass the Clutch Safety Switch? Also Tamboo I shall look into that also.

osiris19

Unplug the connector on the switch underneath the dash where the pedal is, and jump the wires together with a paper clip.