Cleaning headlights

Blue95gsr

That car you smoked!
I saw a thread was formed for how to take grim off the headlights by using sandpaper and something else. Does anybody remember where this thread was or how to clean all those years of grim off my headlights so I can see better at night?

Melow01

I was just looking into this too and a couple people were talking about the 3M kit. Do you use it by hand or with a drill? I heard that there may be a drill attachment in the kit. I also heard about people using toothpaste and some light grit sand paper... seriously.

airmaxin

I was just looking into this too and a couple people were talking about the 3M kit. Do you use it by hand or with a drill? I heard that there may be a drill attachment in the kit. I also heard about people using toothpaste and some light grit sand paper... seriously.
I'd suggest keeping the toothpaste on your teeth lol. I have used the 3M kit on my old hatchback and it works wonders! It's possible to do it with hand, but to get the best results, use a drill. I bought it for like $15 at Autozone, but I was there the other day and they were selling it for $20 now, go figure. Either way, it's definitely worth buying.

Anthony90

TeamXXXracing
I used toothpaste and it did help some.There's better things out there but for minor oxidation i would just try toothpaste.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
nice find on that kit :thumbup:

Sammich

quickest solution is Nevrdull

as far as the sanding method...

2000grit sandpaper
rubbing compound
buffer
wax

wetsand the headlight w/ teh 2k grit sandpaper evenly and well until its pretty smooth

put the rubbing compound ont eh pad on the buffer...buff away and make sure it covers teh headlight. be sure not to stay in one area too long or ull burn the headlight.

wipe it off

then apply your wax

yeah you can use it on all plastic lenses the only bad thing about that product is it doesn't last a very long time till you're doing it again. Best thing to do is use the kit then go to your local accessory shop and have them use the 3M clear bra on the lenses we do this at my shop and it looks great.

mirrorimg

You can get a plastic polish that has UV protectants in it, which protects it more than just the kit, to keep it looking nicer, longer. I have mother plastic polish, and I dont need to use it nearly as much as I did my buffing compound.

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
So could I use everything in the kit but instead of using the polish that they give you, switch that with Mothers or another plastic polish? Would that work?