Frankenstein

BugJuice

For the frank setup why do people say ls/vtec is bad but b20/vtec is okay. Why is the b20 preferred.
I also heard that an ls/vtec can be reliable if you don't rev past a certain rpm. My other question is. Do you have to pull the motor?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I believe both can be reliable setups if they're done correctly; not too sure about the b20 vtec though

BugJuice

this is what i am thinking about doing over summer. butt if the motor has to be pulled that's a different story.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
If you're worried about pulling the motor, I would probably shy away from an Ls/V build, IMO. Why not turbo your current engine?

BugJuice

It has a butt load of miles. 139k Turboing sounds like a pretty penny. I was worried about pulling the engine because then id just go b20. Engine isn't very expensive at all.

BugJuice

i just dont want to blow a motor with boost.
I thought the b20 wasn't an issue for smog.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
As far as I know it is. It's a truck motor and should fail the visual, unless you get someone that is lazy and isn't looking at the block stamp. Idk about the emission levels they carry compared to a b series engine, but I have heard about them passing the emissions portion before

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Yeah, just some mod's are more passable than others. An Ls/V would be a bit harder to spot, not sure about the emissions, than a B20 unless you file the stamp down or some shit. And with the turbo you could just unhook it all before you smog. I know some people that spend about a day getting their car ready for smog, lol

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You don't need to pull the motor if your going to do an ls/vtec setup. All you need to do is pull the head, put a new headgasket with the new head on. Make sure you get a kit with the dowels you need for the head, oil line, etc. Get a new ecu, run the vtec wire and bam, you got ls/vtec. You can do it in a day if you got the tools, parts, and time. Everyone just makes the swap harder than it is because they want to do all sorts of extra shit with the swap.

BugJuice

You don't need to pull the motor if your going to do an ls/vtec setup. All you need to do is pull the head, put a new headgasket with the new head on. Make sure you get a kit with the dowels you need for the head, oil line, etc. Get a new ecu, run the vtec wire and bam, you got ls/vtec. You can do it in a day if you got the tools, parts, and time. Everyone just makes the swap harder than it is because they want to do all sorts of extra s*** with the swap.
oh alright, thank you. yeah id do the extra stuff later on. Are you ls/vtec?