cam seal leaking

pinkley

b@115D33p
Sense day one that I've had my car which is about 3 months. I've been seeing oil on the side of the engine. Inspected for cracks and whatnot and couldn't find anything. Then a buddy of mine said it could be the cam seal. I ordered a new one and was wondering if its a quick job or will I have to mess with the cam. The way it looks I will only have to pull the old and set in the new. Is my guess correct?

Kinta94

Sense day one that I've had my car which is about 3 months. I've been seeing oil on the side of the engine. Inspected for cracks and whatnot and couldn't find anything. Then a buddy of mine said it could be the cam seal. I ordered a new one and was wondering if its a quick job or will I have to mess with the cam. The way it looks I will only have to pull the old and set in the new. Is my guess correct?
very simple just take your valve cover off then the two bolts that hold the cam cap seal pop it out then reverse the steps for install

hgocasca

level 77 troll
i believe its actually 4 bolts for that cam cap, i could be wrong, but i recall removing four when i changed mine (b18a1)

pinkley

b@115D33p
i believe its actually 4 bolts for that cam cap, i could be wrong, but i recall removing four when i changed mine (b18a1)
yup yup!! took off the valve cover and there were 2 bolts under it and the 2 visible ones on the outside.

Cripton805

I hope you torqued down everything to spec.

Early GSR's need the cam holder and cap removed. Haha
Sucks. The new style you can just pull off and plug back. Hopefully you got an OEM new style with the O-Rings.

pinkley

b@115D33p
I hope you torqued down everything to spec.

Early GSR's need the cam holder and cap removed. Haha
Sucks. The new style you can just pull off and plug back. Hopefully you got an OEM new style with the O-Rings.
86 ft pounds

Yeah I had to take off the valve cover and the outer bearing cap to get it in. I bought a aftermarket plug with 4 o-rings. It's been 6 days and its not leaking so I'm not too worried.

harleyfarkle

Why are you guys pretending those are the only cam seals on a 1.8. The ones near the cam are leaking on my 1.8. Are they being ignored because of the work involved?