Replacement Brakes

mac

Hey, I've been away from this forum for a while and got quite a shock when I saw that all the old threads are missing :(

Anywho, I want to replace the crappy brakes on my 99 Special Edition and I would like to know what's out there. I want stopping power and durability not show. I will also be replacing my wheels since the alloys are leaking, so much so that the front needs 5 lbs of air every 2 weeks :shock:

Sometime in January or February I'll be taking her in for the 96,000 km service, anything I should be aware of?

mac

Hmm, there used to be another site very similar to this one, similar sections down to the name or so I thought. It was pretty big and quite active. Memory must be going in my old age :shock: Would you happen to know another site that specializes with Integra's other than VTEC?

Any suggestion in regards to the original questions?

Darrell

AEM big brake kit is nice, Brembo makes nice brake kits

MINNOWS007

If you want some brakes that perform but are stil fairly cheap. Get a SUMMIT mag the Power Stop Rotors are really good rotors, stock replacment with no modifications. Those and any semi-metalic brake pads work great and they look pretty good cross-drilled

mac

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the fact that Summit can replace stock equipment without mods. Although I am not against moding my ride. Price is a consideration since I am hoping to replace the car in 05 or 06 with a RX-8. I had one lined up in September but changed my mind.

In regards to minnows007's comment about cross drilling. I understand the theory about cross drilling (better cooling) however I have questions about the soundness of the engineering ie lose structural integrity. Has any research been done on the safety aspect of cross drilled rotors? Please include links.

Thanks again for you help.

MINNOWS007

Yes there has been testing. You can not sell any product to the retail public that has not been engineered tested and approved to be safe for passanger vehicles. Also look at any kind of SCCA or any type of road racing cars they all run some type of crossdriled or slotted rotors. in some cases they are both cross drilled and slotted. I have been running mine for almost a year now and have not had any problems with them at all. The Power Stop rotors are probably one of the cheapest brake upgrades that do not need modification and still out perform the stock ones by far.

mac

Thanks minnows007! I thought you meant custom jobbies (ie normal rotors that were cross drilled after purchase - seen this on another site). I always assumed that crossed drilled rotors were $$$, sorry about that. As for out performing stock, it wouldn't take much. My Mitsu Colt had better brakes, at least they wouldn't shudder and fade under hard braking. I took my Teg to 2 local dealerships during the first year and both said that it was normal behavior. :roll: Thanks again. I'm getting a local garage to check for pricing of the Summit and AEM as well as a local performance shop.

MINNOWS007

No problem just here to help. You can check the Summit pricing yourself. Call 1-800-962-9094 and the part#'s you need are
Driver side front PWR-JBR-522L
Passenger side front PWR-JBR-522R
The rear part#'s are not listed you can just ask them for the rears also when you call. Also tell them you want a catalog for the sport compact stuff and they will send you one for free.

94dc2-4drgsr

For brakes u can always check ebay like this item # 2444202630 front and back, drilled and slotted, for $180.00 and they are Brembo

mac

I'm not a fan of eBay. It's just too easy to get screwed. I'd rather pay a little more and know that I'm actually getting what I'm paying for. Specially for something as crucial as brakes. If they are significantly less then you have to ask why is that?