Difference between VTEC engine and regular engine

subversion

I drive a 96 LS with a regular B18B engine, and i was curious as to what makes my engine different than the VTECH engine

amaestre32

simply put it changes the valve timing and the lift hense the name variable valve timing and lift electronic control. it pretty much uses two cams and selects between the two for different valve timing. others feel free to add

patrick4588

Integra God
both motors use 2 cams. a vtec engine has a third lobe on each cam. and the head castings are much different; a vtec head flows much better than non vtec head. not too much different on the bottom end of things. the rotating assembly is different; 89mm crank vs 87.2mm. different length rods due to crank difference. gsr rods are beefier. as far as casting, they are the same other than oil squirters. same deck height and bore etc.

Lambo-LS

along with what they said the compresion ratio is alot different, an LS is 9.2/1 and a b18c is i think 10 or 11/1 there is a thread on here that will tell you the different specs on each engine (and car as a whole) like LS, RS, GSR, T-R.......in my opinion there is a huge difference between the two both with its own advantages. But with a build, the motor you have, you can put a V-tec kit on there which is kinda expensive but very nice for the power you would get out of it......or you can always go the boost route, and with an LS block and the low compresion that it has you can boost roughly 8-9lbs and still be safe with it, but you still would have to upgrade a couple things.....kinda went of course but those are you options if you were looking at what you could do with you motor, hope that helped a little bit.

Campanelli

OMG it has VTEC?
One of them has V tec and the other one doesn't. V -techs is what makes Hondas faster than any car in the world:lol:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
VTEC Motors are balanced better, they have better oiling capabilities, they have a better oil pump. They have oil squirters to cool the pistons, their heads as stated have better flow characteristics then non-vtec motors. They have better valvetrain oiling. The blocks don't use 2 piece sleeves like the ls blocks do. They have variable cam timing, and they have a better rocker setup.