differences in trans

rivman05

Im looking at doing tranny work when I drive my car to my dads house this summer. Last summer I did an air intake, header, and full exhaust. Im looking at a lower geared trans so that when on drives with my dad and brother Im not left in the dust especially going over mountain passes. Im looking at the ratios, and trans designations. From what I've found the JDM R's have an lsd as well as closer ratio'd boxes (S80's). If I grab one, is this a plug and play swap? I've never done a fwd trans swap, and I dont want to have to go hell bent all over trying to find pieces as from our shop in Wa its 60 miles one way to anywhere that I could possibly order parts. Also Im on a bit of a time crunch, as Im only going to be there for a week before going to visit my mom before heading back up the alcan to AK. Im asking as this isnt my specialty, its not c4 vs a c6, or a th350 a/b or th400. I tried looking and seems people swap them all the time, I'm just looking for will all the hydro lines line up and will it drop in like the one Im taking out? Im guessing as the trans numbers are the same for designation but I dont want to get my self all clustered before having to head home. Next summer I plan on going boosted after a well planned build.

Last edited:

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Any B-series trans is interchangeable with any B-series engines. What car do you have?

Nick_C78

It'll fit. All hydro bseries transmission are direct bolt on. Cable transmissions are the only ones that have issues between various years.

The year jdm trans will also matter for you. 96 jdm type r trans have different gearing and final drive from the 98 and newer jdm type r transmissions. 96 is basically a b16 trans with oem lsd and 4.4 final drive. 98 has taller gears, but a 4.7 final drive and oem lsd.

That being said...you probably won't feel too much of a difference for street driving between the years. Just know that 96 will be cheaper, cause people want the newer one since it has a 4.7...but when you compare the two its close. The 96 is better imo, cause you can swap final drives later and just scream through gears

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
With your time crunch save up and order a type r trans and then you can swap out whole trans in a day or two. Just my 2¢