My 2 wheel project, 77' KZ650 bobber

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I picked this bike up today off a buddy of mine here locally. It runs and drives fine, it was just lacking some cosmetic work...or so I thought haha. Upon looking the bike over I discovered that the wiring was an absolute nightmare and rats nest. There was open ended wires hanging, bare wires and wires connected together unsoldered, untaped, ect. So I started to strip the bike down and eliminate all the wiring that wasn't a necessity. I am going to run all the wiring down through the frame to tuck it away out of sight. This is going to be a learning experience for me as I have never owned a bike and hell I have never really been into bikes of this style. Luckily my brother in law owns a 78' 750 bobber, so he's gonna be giving me a hand.

Plans for the bike:
Wire tuck
Buy a different rear fender and shape it how I want it
Powder coat the frame (color undecided)
Powder coat the wheels (color undecided)
Paint the tank and fender (color undecided)
Make sure all routine things are taken care of such as new rear tire, brakes, etc..
Sell it come spring time!

Here is what the bike started out as and then pictures of the stripping process

The electronic ignition was broke, so I will be replacing that and eliminating the kick starter. Yes that is a bicycle pedal on the kick starter

And a bike I really like and hope this one sort of turns out like, just in a different color scheme

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I don't haha, I build cars. This is the first bike build I will have done once it's finished.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
So I hated the rear fender that was on the bike, so much so that I went out and bought another one. My brother in law who has built a few bikes told me to go to Tractor Supply Co. and pick up a trailer fender. I did just that, we had to bend, hammer and cuss in order to make it fit but we are almost there. I am going to cut the fender down some and do something fancy looking with it, just to give it some character. I also got the header off the bike, to remove the old, worn out heater wrap that someone put on it. This saturday I am going to take the pipe to a buddies house and bend it, pie cut it, weld it together (its a 2 piece exhaust with a clamp right now), then send it off Monday to be ceramic coated. Enough talking, here's some pics

You can somewhat see my marking in this pic, I am going to cut 4" of the fender off by time it's done

Just kinda sitting on there, not in it's final position

Old vs New fender

The old header wrap was terrible, it fell apart and a lot of it turned to dust. Not sure what my camera's problem was

Oh and just a random bobber I found online that I really like

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I figured tonight was as good as any to start tinkering around with this thing again. I got it stripped down completely, so I can start grinding some areas on the frame that I do not like as well as start getting stuff off to the powder coater.

Got the motor out and frame stripped naked

First batch of parts that are going to powder coating tomorrow

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Got the first batch of parts back from the powder coater today, I am beyond happy with how they turned out. Next up is to purchase or fab the forward controls so I can then get the frame off to be coated.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I had a little extra time to spend in the garage tonight, so with the help of my brother in law we knocked out the rear fender. I don't think it's turned out too bad considering it's a $30 trailer fender and the first fender I have ever modified. I do know the bike needs a wider rear tire to fill in the gap. Next thing up for the bike is purchasing a rear brake hub to replace the broken one and then I am going to order some forward controls so I can get the frame all done and off to powder coating.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Been tinkering around with the bike a little bit here and there. I sent the frame out to be sandblasted after finding some bondo in it. I wanted to see what kind of mess I had to work with, luckily it isn't bad at all. I also sent off a few more things to be coated black. Next thing on the list to do is purchase the forward controls so I can then get the frame powdered. I am also hoping to have the wheels apart this weekend so I can see if the lip is able to be polished up nicely or if they too will need powder coated. I also picked up a new rear brake hub to replace the one that was broken when I got the bike. It's crazy how cheap parts are for these things compared to cars haha.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
No, all black bikes are so played out in my opinion. Not that I don't like the look of them, but I want to do something to separate it from the others since I plan on selling it come spring time.