Access Fuel Pump.

Wesup

Hi, ii am new here and need help. My car wont start and I cant hear the fuel pump and I want to try and hook it straight to battery to see if that's the problem. Can I access it from rear seat cushion? If so, how do I remove the rear seat? I cant find any bolts that appear to be holding it in. Thanks in advance for any help.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
flip down the rear seats like you would to load cargo in, on the outter most edges of the seat (window side) there will be a plastic retaining clip (where the hinge is) which is black. remove that and slide the seat towards the window. Then there is a 10mm bolt holding in the bottom part.

when you prime the fuel pump does the CEL go away?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
check engine light

should go off when you have the key in the on position

Wesup

OH! Yes it goes off like normal and I tried listening to fuel tank with cap off and don't hear anything. that's why im thinking fuel pump. Can I change it without dropping tank? Some manuals say Yes and some say No. Im confused.

Wesup

lol sorry Nick, im in Atlanta but all of my daughters live in L.A. and yes knowing a good mechanic is important.

Nick_C78

This is why I said it depends on the year. Yours will require you to drop the tank to replace it. Sadly... confirm ita bad though. Either by sound or a fuel pressure gauge.

itzrivera

I would check your main relay and test for power to the fuel pump before you drop the fuel tank. Specifically, test the connector that's on the fuel pump

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
You should hear two clicks when you insert the key. First click and a second click, maybe a third click IDK I don't care enough to look it up.

If you aren't getting any clicks it's probably a bad main relay, if just once click maybe just a dead fuel pump relay.

Test the fuel pump relay, then check for power at the pump, then check the main relay. Beyond that you are dropping the tank to replace the pump.

Wesup

Copy that to all, I am working this week then I guess its time to tear into it, ill let you all know the outcome, thanks for the advise.