Bad thermostat?

99Geezer

Ok my engine runs at the C or just barely above when driving. However when i stop i slowing rises only going about 1/4 the way on the guage, until i start driving again it goes back down. new thermostat?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
does the engine act funny? It might also just be the wires going to your guage...

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
If the thermostat was always stuck open it wouldn't get up to temperature if he's in a cold climate.

Your thermostat isn't always open when the car is warm. it cycles open and closed.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Sounds like your thermostat could be stuck open. Better than being stuck closed and not letting any coolant flow through the radiator. It's a cheap and not too difficult fix.

JdmITRCinci

JDM Bliss
thermo stats stuck open. My g/f had the same Issue w/ her GSR. We drove home 4 hrs from columbus and I poped her hood to add oil since her car likes to eat oil until I rebuild it and I was able to put my hand on the valve cover. It was around 40-50 degree outside but ther motor runs nice and cool. Then when she sits at a light it climbs up.

JdmITRCinci

JDM Bliss
downside to aftermaket racing thermostats your car will never get warm in the winter. My buddy matt has one on his CTR swaped EK Hatch. He hates it so much right now because on his 20 minute drive to work he dosnt get one bit of heat. He even starts his car 10 minutes before he leaves. Summertime I would say run a racing thermostat, but winter I would say run stock. Swap them if you know how to install a head and do your own timing. Its fairly easy.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
JdmITRCinci said:
Swap them if you know how to install a head and do your own timing. Its fairly easy.
What ? you dont need to adjust timing or take off the head to replace a thermostat.