Difference between JDM B18C and Spec R?

CamoTeg

I'm looking at buying a 1993 Honda Civic that the guy says has a '98 Spec-R swap in it. I've looked it up and the B18C Spec-R makes 20 more HP than a regular B18C. I was wondering how I could tell the difference between a B18C and a B18C Spec-R or if there is a way to visually tell a difference in the two? I know all Type R's will have the P73 head and red valve cover(unless changed). I asked for more pictures of the engine and an up close picture of where the block is stamped but here's the car and here's the pictures of the engine I have for it so far...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4908049182.html

Biggdatty

VTAK Slayer 9000
I'm pretty sure JDM Type R's were stamped with PR3 on the head and P72 on the back of the block, could be wrong though.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
I think the guy meant that it's the JDM version of the B18C5.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

CamoTeg

A JDM Type R engine is a B18C. USDM is B18C5. My question is...what is the difference between a B18C and a B18C Spec R? How can I tell the difference?

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Telling the difference might be a little harder than looking the engine block code since they're both "B18C". Ask for pictures of the cylinder head w/ the "P7-" stamp on it.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I thought USDM GSRs have B18C1 stamped on the block, where-as the JDM is B18C

There's also the head, P72 vs PR3

And from the looks of it he doesn't have the USDM GSR intake manifold, so that's a step in the right direction

But yea it's a big difference performance wise, especially if it has the correct transmission.

Last edited:

CamoTeg

I thought USDM GSRs have B18C1 stamped on the block, where-as the JDM is B18C

There's also the head, P72 vs PR3

And from the looks of it he doesn't have the USDM GSR intake manifold, so that's a step in the right direction

But yea it's a big difference performance wise, especially if it has the correct transmission.

He said its a full JDM 1998 Integra Type R swap. Block says B18C and head says PR3-2

CamoTeg

Yea that's the JDM motor, prob just bought the swap and installed it.

Yeah, he bought the full swap from HMotors and installed it. I'm supposed to check the car out tomorrow. Wish me luck I'm hoping the car is pretty stout although I feel it will be.