what brake pads and rotors to buy

sn@ke3ater

so the front pads on my 91 da are totally gone and they've dug channels into the rotors. so I'm going to have to replace both of them. I was thinking about going a little bit better than standard auto zone OEM parts this time and going for sloted rotors and better pads.

does anyone have any suggestion in terms of type and brand? I'm looking for something that will last longer than standard parts.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Hawk HPS pads are great for DD. Unless you're hitting the track, don't waste your money on slotted rotors IMO. They're designed for gas dissipation between the pad and rotor, thus causing pads to heat up faster because there is more consistent contact under braking. This is great for track pads that operate at higher temperatures. Not as useful for street cars. But ultimately it's up to you.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I also use Hawk HPS on all my DDs. Also unless you just want the looks, BigMacs right about just getting blanks. Some people say get autozone blanks because of the lifetime warranty, brembos are good, Centric are good, I use oem Mazda blanks cause I get a killer deal on them.

g6qwerty

Same thing with my car, Groved front rotors and worn out pads. Don't think their metal to metal but not certain. So looking for some new brake pads for the front.
I did torch my brakes once coming down a mountain road fast, rotors were warping and peddell was way soft. I had gotten them hot once before and could feel the rotor's warping but hadn't experianced brake fade much till that, so decided to slow down and take it easy.

So looking for an upgrade for quick mountain driving, and think i'll just either get premium cermamic pads and rotors from napa or ttry out the hawk HPS pads. but may buy rotors online since only have seen hawk pads listed online.

Any good recommendations on good brake rotors? For Spirited Mountain driving.(mostly uphill)

Charly[horse]

Name = John
I like EBC pads and rotors. I used red stuff pads and slotted rotors and they felt good. I honestly don't have much experience with different brake setups though, I just know that I liked them better than stock. Oh and plenty of mountain driving on them.

g6qwerty

Yeah, well the majority of the time, it gets driven for regular street use. So I didn't quite want the brakes squeaking all the time. A little I think I could live with.

Also should mention that the car is basically 100% Stock and quite possibly has oem brake lines from the factory. Only thing it has is strut bars front and rear and a B20B (2.0L) enigne in it.

Also not really looking to spend much over 150 dollars for all of the parts. (for the front brakes so far, I"ll have to check both out on Thursday.

Should have enough meat left on them to continue driving on them for a while to save up for the brakes.

Front Right

Front Left

Rear's

Last edited: