How do you check the check engine light

killbrand89

How do i check a check engine light with no scan tool, a buddy told me that i can jumper wire a connecter but i need more info and pics if possibe. Just bought my 2000 integra GSR two das ago, i dont want to hurt her. Help?

Last edited:

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
um... my best guess would be take it to like... autozone or advanced or kragen( whatever you got out there) and see if they have a scanner to check your car with.

XxCaryxX

um... my best guess would be take it to like... autozone or advanced or kragen( whatever you got out there) and see if they have a scanner to check your car with.
^This.

Any place like that can pull your codes for you since your computer is an OBD2.

OBD1 (95 and older) have to either be done the hard way or taken to a dealer, assuming you don't have the diagnostic computer yourself.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
you can do it for free though, click on the link I posted. It's a free way to find what code it's spitting out. Once you find out, post the number and/or title of the error and we'll see what we can do.

killbrand89

Ok i pulled the code, its a P0132 o2 sensor (11) circuit voltage high. The guy i bought it from said his scan tool said TPS sensor..... What know, do i just pay for a shop to fix her or can i do it myself easy?

1995integra

Well I jumped the connectors and the check engine light just turned off. So according to the list 0 flashes is the ECU. Does that mean my ECU is faulty?

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Ok i pulled the code, its a P0132 o2 sensor (11) circuit voltage high. The guy i bought it from said his scan tool said TPS sensor..... What know, do i just pay for a shop to fix her or can i do it myself easy?
anything someone at a shop can do, you can most likely do yourself. Sensors are easy, you take out the old one and put the new one in. I've never personally done this so I'm not really sure though. Keep researching it and you'll find your answer.

Well I jumped the connectors and the check engine light just turned off. So according to the list 0 flashes is the ECU. Does that mean my ECU is faulty?
Could be. Did you go step by step through the article?

1995integra

Could be. Did you go step by step through the article?[/QUOTE]

Yes I did. Should I just take it to an Acura dealer and have them test the computer to see if its actually faulty?

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Could be. Did you go step by step through the article?
Yes I did. Should I just take it to an Acura dealer and have them test the computer to see if its actually faulty?[/QUOTE]

If you do that, then you having an account on a support forum is pointless. We are here to help you to save you money and so you learn more about cars. I would try it again. maybe disconnect the battery (red side) for a few minutes, then connect it. If the CEL goes away then drive around and see if it comes back on. If it doesn't, then it could have fixed itself (which doesn't happen enough). If it comes back on, then try jumping the plug and checking the light.

I get not being able to figure something out could be frustrating but what you do, depends on what you have more of, patients or money.

I know I have more patients the money. Most of the time I have no choice but it still is better to save money.