Tie rod questions

slikk

Money Getter
help my ride started feeling strange today . i was told sometime ago that i will need new tie rods soon ..

what i wan tot know is what is the function of the tie rod and how do you know when they are done?

Todd

token ex-mod
i wish i could help bro... i dunno though.
my car kinda shakey and wonders easily on the freeway.... i've been told i need new tie rods as well

GSRawe

I'm sorry I can't help you out. All I can say is take it to the shop and ask them. Wish I could be more of a help

Chuckie Finster

Provided you know how to locate the upper and lower control arms on your 'teg, the tie rod is connected to the big "L" looking thingy that the two A-arms and the hub are also connected to.

The tie rods are the long thin rods connected to the steering knuckles and the other end to the steering rack. It's purpose is to pull/push the knuckle leverage end so that when you turn the steering wheel, the front wheels will point in the desired direction. On some cars, "toe" can also be adjusted by the tie rods.

It is uncommon for a tie rod to fail, however, that is not to say they can't. Check for any bends, breaks or oddities in the rods. Also be sure to check that they aren't causing excessing toe angles or bump steer,--if you don't know how to determine toe settings or bump steer, it is best to leave to a techinician.

BTW, good luck and hope you get it worked out soon. :alcoholic

Chuckie Finster

Hopefully I didn't confuse you.

*Steering knuckle leverage arm--thats what it's called (that the tie rod is connected to*

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
To know if your tie rods are bad:

Put the front of your car up in the air, tires totally off the ground. Grab the tire at 3 and 9 and shake it back and forth. If they move at all, your tie rod is bad. They should only move if your steering wheel is moving, too, as if the car is turning. Tie rods are the things (or one of the things) that get adjusted when you have an alignment done. You can't get an accurate alignment done with a bad tie rod, it like trying to put a diaper on a squirming baby. If one tie rod goes bad, it can make the other tie rod go bad sooner, so if one has gone bad it's a good idea to go ahead and change both. They're not expensive.

btw, while your car is in the air, to see if your upper ball joints are good or bad, grab the tire at 12 and 6 and shake back and forth. If they move at all your ball joint is bad.