Upgrading 98 2 Door Audio without modding

W1ndsor

Hey guys, im new around here but i have a 98 LS 2 door with tweeters, and i want to upgrade my audio system, but i dont want to have to do any wiring and very very little drilling, preferably none at all.

What are some good speakers, tweeters, and single din headunits? I know everyone is different but if i could get some ideas of what people run and like it may help.

Budget wise id like to stay about midrange on stuff. dont need the best available but also dont want crap.

Also, are the stock fronts component speakers already since the car has tweeters or is it just regular speakers with extra tweeters.

Big Bird

Sounds like you need to head to a budget stereo install shop! If you think the fronts are a challenge.
To replace the rear set the interior has to be taken out. And the fasteners for the panels are likely to break. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart.
When I bought my LS it had all the rear fasteners missing. And now the replacement speakers are cooked.
But there are utube vids that u can watch.
GL

Last edited:

Big Bird

Pulled the rear PS panel to get to the speaker. It took about 20 minutes to have it replaced.
3-10mm bolts and 1/2 dozen plastic keepers. The 6.5" speakers are a little to big and the housing needs to be opened up.

98GS

I like crutchfield.com. It will tell you what fits your car. It will also come with the clips that attach directly to your factory speaker wires. The stock ones are cheap paper cone components. Every speaker is 6 1/2" the tweeters I believe are 1" but most of what I've found for tweeters required some kind of modification. The speakers I just got in my 98 gs are Sony 3 way xs-fb1630 they where 59.99 for a pair of 2. The factory tweeters I didn't bother replacing because I have 3 ways now anyway and 2 10s for bass. My head unit is also Sony but I don't remember the model. It's in my post labeled my 98 gs :). The head unit was 120 or 150 i forget. Speakers sound pretty clear and have a decent amount of mid range and lows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98GS

Haven't tried it yet either but supposedly you can pull the rear grills with out taking the whole panel out. The door ones I know for sure come out with out removing the panel but the tweeters have to be un screwed from behind the panel. The door speakers tho just lift straight up from the bottom of the grill and they pop out.

W1ndsor

I like crutchfield.com. It will tell you what fits your car. It will also come with the clips that attach directly to your factory speaker wires. The stock ones are cheap paper cone components. Every speaker is 6 1/2" the tweeters I believe are 1" but most of what I've found for tweeters required some kind of modification. The speakers I just got in my 98 gs are Sony 3 way xs-fb1630 they where 59.99 for a pair of 2. The factory tweeters I didn't bother replacing because I have 3 ways now anyway and 2 10s for bass. My head unit is also Sony but I don't remember the model. It's in my post labeled my 98 gs :). The head unit was 120 or 150 i forget. Speakers sound pretty clear and have a decent amount of mid range and lows.

ok so stock the front speakers are component speakers. is there a stock sub somewhere or is it just hooked into the head unit.

98GS

ok so stock the front speakers are component speakers. is there a stock sub somewhere or is it just hooked into the head unit.

Nope they are component front and rear plus the tweeters in doors. I was able to replace my back ones with out fully removing interior too. Just had to pop the grills out to get to speaker screws and pull the rear panels back just enough to slide the speakers out. Just wire a sub up with an amp. It's pretty easy. Better speakers will give you some bass too.

W1ndsor

Nope they are component front and rear plus the tweeters in doors. I was able to replace my back ones with out fully removing interior too. Just had to pop the grills out to get to speaker screws and pull the rear panels back just enough to slide the speakers out. Just wire a sub up with an amp. It's pretty easy. Better speakers will give you some bass too.

ok good to know. thanks