After snow, car won't start

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It takes 3 things to run an engine - fuel, spark and air. By your own words you have fuel and you just confirmed the spark so now we test the air and make sure everything is timed correctly.

Ganyon

By chance, could the timing belt snap while he tried starting it? I mean, it sounds like a possibility if the belt was old and frozen.

Nick_C78

By chance, could the timing belt snap while he tried starting it? I mean, it sounds like a possibility if the belt was old and frozen.
He wouldn't have spark if tuning belt was broken because the cams wouldn't be turning. The dizzy needs the cam to turn to make spark

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Have you checked the floor on the passenger side? DA's are notorious for having a leaking cowl that allows water to flood the area that the ecu sits in.

Check for flooding, then check thing timing belt and mechanical timing.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
I'm going to check to see if the spark plugs are firing, by pulling them out and looking for the flame. I have the fuel, the air, but idk if I have the spark for certain. I tested the dizzy all out, but who knows.

I tried turning the engine by hand again, and still nothing. So I'm really starting to think it's something to do with the ignition, just not certain what, yet. I'll let you guys know what I find out tonight.

Nick_C78

You said the link that Muckman sent you tested out fine...Now you say you don't know for sure? Check for moisture in the dizzy cap and the plugs for the dizzy. Something is being overlooked. Make sure all the plug wires are pushed in too. Might be a good idea to check the resistance of the plug wires too, but I doubt ALL 4 would be bad.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
I retested the dizzy's coil.

With the car's keys on "off"
Primary resitance range: .4-15.5
Secondary resistance range: 16.k-18.k

With the cars keys on "2"
Primary resistance range: 0.00-0.00
Secondary resistance range: 16.k-18.k

New coil needed?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Screw that test. Take a spark plug out but still connected to the plug wire. Touch the grounding strap (the end of the spark plug) to a heavy gauge wire (bare) that is grounded to the chassis, such as the ground wire on the valve cover. Make sure ambient lighting is dark (at nigh or in garage). Have a friend key the ignition to start and watch the spark plug tip to see if it sparks (no flame lol). If you cant see any blue/white spark then double check the ground wire. It has to be a good ground for it to spark. If still no spark then thats your problem. Repeat test on all 4 spark plugs.

*Pro Tip: wear gloves

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
If I get no sparks, then the problem is the coil?

I was planning on doing that test tonight, but I am currently the only one home. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME "PUSH TO START" WOULD COME IN HANDY!

Nick_C78

Well....you could do this by yourself. Leave the key in the on position and do the ignition bypass on the starter.... lol

Nick_C78

There are 2 wires on the starter. If you use something to bridge them together while the key is all the way on, the car can "start". Be very careful not to ground yourself though....especially since you are trying to ground the spark plug. Might be too risky, but make sure you use a lot of insulated stuff, especially to bridge the starter. I will feel bad if you get shocked.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
However, I'm nervous to do this, because my car is sitting in the middle of my yard. In my garage, I have a grounding cable, but up here I have nothing.