b18c swap questions???

horeks90

hi, i have decided to swap out my b18a auto with a b18c auto. Now i don't want to have anyone rain on my parade and tell me autos suck. its my da! lol. I'm buying a b18c with the aut tranny and that comes with the ecu and everything. Is there anything i needto know before i do this?? will this be a direct fit swap will alll my mounts work and it will bolt right in? thank you for any help!

evilminion88

I ate the bones
I'm gonna assume B18c1 right? Well depending on the year of your DA Teg will determine if you need to convert to OBD1 first of all. But it sounds like you just want to swap in a B18c1 just for v-tec right? Seeing your keeping it auto, why not just go ls-vtec? It'll save you the hassle of taking out the entire engine and tranny and putting in virtually the same engine with the same tranny with only the head making it different. The bottom end of both motors have little to no difference from each other. All you have to do is get a vtec head (B18c1 or B16), take out the non-vtec head, get a ls-vtec kit, get some machine work done to the new head, get the ecu and all the wiring figured out, and there you've got it without even having to pull out the entire motor.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
^^Dont forget, have ecu tuned to run the car properly. For some reason no one ever remembers that little detail when talking LS/Vtec.

My buddy has an auto GSR in his EG coupe, reason why he stuck with an auto was "I can't drive 5 speed" lol. There is videos of it on youtube beating 5 speed LS integra's which cracks me the hell up. The wiring that was required to get it to run properly was absolutely insane. Heres why, the JDM ecu has an extra plug in on it, the USDM wiring harness does not plug and play into it. Unless you are a genius with wiring, your going to be kicking your self in the ass. Luckily we have a buddy who is an absolute animal when it comes to wiring, I will get ahold of my buddy tomorrow or friday and take pics of his setup and post them in here, ill snap a shot of the wiring harness that connects to the USDM ecu and you'll shit yourself lol.

Secondly I don't know if your stock mounts will work with the 94+ auto transmission or not, might have to research that. If it does work, then you should be aware that the auto GSR trans has the same gear ratio as the Manual LS transmission lol.

Last edited:

Cripton805

I don't know how the Auto tranny from the 2nd gen is different from the Auto 3rd Gen.

And to "quote Guy"
Couldn't he use the factory harness that came with the swap? I'm thinking he would get a complete SIR-G Engine / Auto swap and would come with absolutely everything w/ the ecu possibly still being plugged into the factory harness right?.

im a newb to auto swaps. lmao

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
No it won't just plug right in to your chassis harness. The engine harness isn't the one that plugs into the ecu, it plugs into the chassis harness which then plugs into the ecu, like I said i'll get some pics of my buddies car and show you the insane wiring job that was needed in order to get it to run.

As for the trans I am not sure if the G3 auto trans will bolt right in, think about it in the same way a hydro trans doesn't bolt right into cable trans equipped cars, not sure 100% if its that way with the auto counterparts or not.

horeks90

yeah it comes with everything. so ur saying that the b18c1 wont b much faster than the lame b18a? i'm doing the swap bcause i want my integra to be faster! i thought the the gsr motor had a lot more power. do i even need the other auto trans?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Honestly I would look into converting the car to a 5 speed to begin with. Then from there you can go b18c1 and be much happier with the end result.

horeks90

yes you are right. i guess i will hold off untill something goes and have to tear it apart. dont fix what isnt broken lol. im at 235K miles on orginal motor and trans so i guess my project will be how many miles will it go!! i've heard ppl getting 365k miles on a b18. looks like it'll b awhile then haha. I think im gonna go cheap and get one of those electric turbos on ebay get like 2-3 psi and better mpg. does anyone actually have one of those??

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Haha I wouldn't waste the money man, a good tune up will get you the same results. What about keeping the automatic integra as a DD and then picking up a project car that is 5 speed? I know everyones money situation is different, but its always a good idea to have a DD and then a car that you modify.

horeks90

yeah well thats the problem i ahve a winter ride (civic) and my integra is my summer ride and is my project i have been doing things to it for the past 7 years it was my first car and i have put already so much money in to it. I can't afford having 3 cars lol. i guess when save up more or if i have to tear it apart ill do the b18c swap with the manual trans swap also all at once. i just can't get rid of it and start over!