Semi automatic gear switching 95 integra need help

jtalon

hiya, im jw when should i be switching gears with an automatic tranny but goign semi auto and just going from 1st to second to third and then fourth as if it was manual cause my engine sounds like its going to blow when im in first gear after 5000/rpms so im guessing thats either to high for it to be switching at in an automatic car using semi auto or i have a problem with the transmission or something?

i would make a video and post on youtube to help with this problem if its needed but from prior experiences with my phone (DROID 3) u can kinda guess that wont work...

Ganyon

Don't do it. Just drive it as an auto. Driving an auto like a manual is stupid plus it's not good for the trans.

72Spitfire

Yes, very bad idea to drive it that way. Put it in Drive and go. Hard on the transmission to shift it "semi-auto"

01TegLuv

Just drive it as it is, auto. then you'll get the feel for when the car naturally shifts. it depends how you're driving it. During normal driving and speed to the supermarket under the speed limit, it usually shifts at about 3k rpm. if you're in first and at 5000 rpm, thats high yes, unless you want to race it, dont know why with an auto, but oh well its your car. it sounds like its going to blow 'cause its getting louder and you're climbing up the powerband. you can redline it at a little before 7k rpm. if you want to do a run that is, though i dont recommend it, like the others said, might not be good for your tranny.

i have an auto too, and have tried out this little feature one time you're speaking of, but i only shift from 3rd to 4rth usually because if you leave it in 3rd, the car will shift automatically up until 3rd gear, then you have to shift it to fourth (semi-auto). Unless you leave it in 4rth all the time then it's full automatic. Yet I find that it shifts more economically, not for performance. It shifts early for you, conserves gas, and less strain on the power, since a stock factory b18b motor and ecu aren't tuned for performance from the factory but for economy. Anyway i usually leave it in third, 'cause for me I feel it shifts better, not too early, feel a little more power and i get too shift the last gear, and i do so just judging naturally after driving for years and also driving stick, by 2nd nature. i just judge depending on my speed and looking at the tachometer too. When in fourth though, this is when the "semi-auto" feature comes in handy, during the situation when some moron decides to stop short on the highway going above 60 in front of you for example, reducing engine speed slows the car down considerably along with braking. I dont recommend slowing down by shifting only, eventhough it can be done, more so with stick. But you would have to learn more advanced shifting techniques such as heel-toe revmatching to down shift, then you can slow down using the engine speed without braking, but for advanced drivers with a stick not auto .But in sticky situations, I have and it has saved me from touching bumpers. to just pull back on that shifter from 4rth to 3rd while braking, gives you alot more control, without the need of a clutch, which I think is pretty cool. Other then that, i dont shift from 1st to third. your tranny isn't meant for it. You will do damage. You can have fun trying it out once if you want. but I would just shift early as the car does, around 3. And that's it, drive auto after that, dont keep playing with it. Leave it in third, and shift around 3000rpm when going to 4rth or just leave it in 4rth. its an auto. im no expert, but thats my $00.02

jtalon

ok thanks :D, it sucks having a friend and brother that think they know what they are talking about when they dont -_-

jtalon

i would klutch but i aint got shit for money right now and wont fora while i cant find a friggen job been lookin since may

jtalon

Just drive it as it is, auto. then you'll get the feel for when the car naturally shifts. it depends how you're driving it. During normal driving and speed to the supermarket under the speed limit, it usually shifts at about 3k rpm. if you're in first and at 5000 rpm, thats high yes, unless you want to race it, dont know why with an auto, but oh well its your car. it sounds like its going to blow 'cause its getting louder and you're climbing up the powerband. you can redline it at a little before 7k rpm. if you want to do a run that is, though i dont recommend it, like the others said, might not be good for your tranny.

i have an auto too, and have tried out this little feature one time you're speaking of, but i only shift from 3rd to 4rth usually because if you leave it in 3rd, the car will shift automatically up until 3rd gear, then you have to shift it to fourth (semi-auto). Unless you leave it in 4rth all the time then it's full automatic. Yet I find that it shifts more economically, not for performance. It shifts early for you, conserves gas, and less strain on the power, since a stock factory b18b motor and ecu aren't tuned for performance from the factory but for economy. Anyway i usually leave it in third, 'cause for me I feel it shifts better, not too early, feel a little more power and i get too shift the last gear, and i do so just judging naturally after driving for years and also driving stick, by 2nd nature. i just judge depending on my speed and looking at the tachometer too. When in fourth though, this is when the "semi-auto" feature comes in handy, during the situation when some moron decides to stop short on the highway going above 60 in front of you for example, reducing engine speed slows the car down considerably along with braking. I dont recommend slowing down by shifting only, eventhough it can be done, more so with stick. But you would have to learn more advanced shifting techniques such as heel-toe revmatching to down shift, then you can slow down using the engine speed without braking, but for advanced drivers with a stick not auto .But in sticky situations, I have and it has saved me from touching bumpers. to just pull back on that shifter from 4rth to 3rd while braking, gives you alot more control, without the need of a clutch, which I think is pretty cool. Other then that, i dont shift from 1st to third. your tranny isn't meant for it. You will do damage. You can have fun trying it out once if you want. but I would just shift early as the car does, around 3. And that's it, drive auto after that, dont keep playing with it. Leave it in third, and shift around 3000rpm when going to 4rth or just leave it in 4rth. its an auto. im no expert, but thats my $00.02
wish you would log on so i could give you some rep... :p

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
i would klutch but i aint got s*** for money right now and wont fora while i cant find a friggen job been lookin since may
I dont understand what you are saying?

I will agree with some of what is being said here^ I personally leave mine in d2 or d3, as the speed limit is lower here and I like the throttle response better. Unless you are going full throttle, your car will shift a lot sooner than you may want it to, because, as stated, it is going to do what is economically beneficial to the car. In regards to downshifting, I would HIGHLY recommend not doing this unless you have to, or you are able to "rev-match" the engine to where it would be in said lower gear. (blip the throttle to increase the rpms closer to what they will be when you drop the gear, causing less wear and tear on the transmission.) Otherwise you will ruin your transmission very quickly. So really, only when absolutely necessary should you be downshifting, particularly for slowing down. Again, unless you know what you are doing, leave it in D4 (or D3 if you have low speed limits and dont plan on going over 50mph) and call it good.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Shifting upward in an auto won't hurt the trans, I don't reccomend downshifting, I don't think they programmed auto downshifts into the ecu for the integra. What you don't want to do is anything that involves putting the transmission under excessive load, this can be brake launching, line locking, burning out, etc. You WILL stick a valve body if you do this. Unless you have excessive mods your torque convertor should not have a problem holding up either, however the constant high rpm shifts, as with any clutch/tc will wear out your friction facing quicker.