Aluminum forged pistons vs forged steel pistons

91LSVTEC

I was curious what the big difference is. Granted there's the weight difference, but can the AFP create the same performance capabilities as it's competitor and have the same life span? Needing help on this AFP are a 1/4 price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Nobody makes pistons out of steel. Even diesel pistons are aluminum. I think you mean forged vs cast pistons. There are different grades of aluminium but not steel. I couldn't find any info on "AFP pistons" either.

Russell D

While there really is no difference in life between the two, forged are primarily used in performance based engines; because this is their intended use they are machined as such and because how people use the engine they tend to not have as long a life, but the piston doesn't change the life in itself.

The main difference between them is how they react to heat, iirc the forged Pistons expand more once up to operating temperature, so the engine would need to be machined to allow for this. I have noticed that until the engine is up to temperature, it's doesn't drive the same as its cold, when using forged Pistons. I don't know if this is the piston or the tune...

Last edited:

Nick_C78

One exists, the other doesn't. Thats the difference.

What Russell said is right.

Forged aluminum vs cast aluminum however is simple. Forged is stronger and can withstand more heat. Cast is brittle, but is the most common stock piston because it is cheap and works well for street cars.

They both also use different clearances(cast uses much tighter clearances) and have a few other installation differences.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Guys you don't know what you're all talking about. Steel forged pistons exist in plenty. Here's some rolling off an assembly line.