Noob here, looking for some answers =)

Daaamon

Let me start by saying hello everyone, my name is Damon!
I recently became infatuated with cars, especially the Acura Integra.
I decided to research the car, and now i am interested in purchasing one.

I live in southern California, I've been researching Acura engines, transmissions, exhaust systems, intake manifolds, exhaust mainfolds, etc. After looking over things very carefully, I still have these few questions.

- Is it safe to buy a used Integra GSR, or an integra with a GSR swapped into it? Or would it be better to buy a teg stock, and pay for people to swap the GSR in at a shop. The thing is, I don't think my dad will have the cash to pay for it, as he is paying for most of the car as a graduation gift to me (C/o 2008 lol).

- What is a "block", "Head", and what is the difference between a straight pipe and a Cat-bacK? And which one of these exhaust systems would be the best if i have an Integra GSR, or a civic coupe or HB with a GSR swapped into it?
+ Greddy Evo II
+ Buddy Club 2
+ Skunk2

- When someone states a ratio (i.e ' 14:1:1'), what are they referring to? I think it has something to do with the piston compression or the camshafts or something? Please explain as thoroughly as you can, as i catch onto concepts quite easily.

- How will an intake mainfold and exhaust effect gas mileage, horsepower, and performance?

- What exactly IS horsepower (Sorry).

Thanks in advance for your replies guys, and if this is not the right subsection for this post, I will gladly remove and post in the appropriate section.

I will be checking the forum daily for updates.

Winki

Undercover mod
I decided to research the car, and now i am interested in purchasing one. (welcome)

I live in southern California, I've been researching Acura engines, transmissions, exhaust systems, intake manifolds, exhaust mainfolds, etc. After looking over things very carefully, I still have these few questions. (be aware of you r local laws i will give my views but they may not be legal in your state)
- Is it safe to buy a used Integra GSR, or an integra with a GSR swapped into it? Or would it be better to buy a teg stock, and pay for people to swap the GSR in at a shop. The thing is, I don't think my dad will have the cash to pay for it, as he is paying for most of the car as a graduation gift to me (C/o 2008 lol).(it is safe to buy an used GSR but make sure you check it out first and dont get a pos. and if you can find a clean swapped car for a good price there is nothing wrong with that. If you can find a stock teg to make all your own that you have the time for then there is nothing better than a blank slate built > bought. but buying a modified one is not bad but agian just dont get some POS car.)
- What is a "block", "Head", and what is the difference between a straight pipe and a Cat-bacK? And which one of these exhaust systems would be the best if i have an Integra GSR, or a civic coupe or HB with a GSR swapped into it? ( block, botem half of the motor that contains your rods and pistons. head, top half that has your cams, vlaves , springs and retainers,. what your intake mani and exhaust mani bolt up to. A straight pipe is pretty much an exahust pipe with no muffler. but it does still connect to the cat like a cat back. Teh exhaust is all opnion i vote buddy club spec II or WS2.. Spec II very loud... WS2 pretty quiet.)
+ Greddy Evo II
+ Buddy Club 2:D
+ Skunk2

- When someone states a ratio (i.e ' 14:1:1'), what are they referring to? I think it has something to do with the piston compression or the camshafts or something? Please explain as thoroughly as you can, as i catch onto concepts quite easily.(not going into detail but yeah has to do with the piston surface to the combustion chamber when the head is no the block.)
- How will an intake mainfold and exhaust effect gas mileage, horsepower, and performance?

- What exactly IS horsepower (Sorry). (simple term or google deff? simple more HP usually faster car)

Thanks in advance for your replies guys, and if this is not the right subsection for this post, I will gladly remove and post in the appropriate section.

;)
hope that helps

Spody02

Name: Cody
ok first whoever moved this thread i want to fight you cause i tho it got deleted and i just spend like 20 mins writing a reply
and someone should send him a pm telling him his thread got moved cause i bet he will have trouble finding it

Spody02

Name: Cody
OH MAN!
i'll answer a few before i hit the hay
ok, so the gsr is a model of the integra. the integra came in gs(grand series), ls(luxury series), gsr(grand racing series), and the type r(racing? maybe not sure) but they all have differences. The gs and ls are almost the same just the ls has more features such as power options, etc. and has a b18b1, which is a nonvtec motor rated at 140HP. The gsr is a step up and has a b18c1 vtec motor rated at 170HP. and the type r has a b18c5 vtec motor rated at 190HP. some basically they are all integras just different trims. For having one swapped into a car, i wouldnt trust anyone who has had one swapped unless they have proof as pro did it. or you trust the person. so i would just buy a gsr. its going to be much easier and a better platform to work with. as for a cat-back. Your exhaust system has 3 basics compents, your header to your cat to your pipe to the air. a cat-back is an upgrade pipe(normally bigger) going back from the cat. and for that an intake manifold wont have much effect on your hp or mpg. those a just small upgrades. A head is on top of the block and has like your cams, springs, retainers, pretty much your valve train. now below the head is block and your block has stuff like your crank, pistons, rods etc. you are right about the ratio. its a compression ratio. Hp is how much power your motor is making. Horse power can be measured in two ways. when a dealer say this car has 300 hp they are talking about to the crank. WHP(wheel horse power) RWHP (rear wheel horse power) FWHP (front wheel horse power) AWHP (all wheel horse power) those just the ways they can be measured as well depending on the drive train on the car. An integra is a front wheel drive can so it would be measured in FWHP, most people just WHP, or horse power to the wheels. This how much horse power you are making to the wheels if you havent got that yet.

ok i'm really tried so if that didnt make sense i'm sorry
i'll go more in depth tomorrow if your still confused

oh and welcome

Daaamon

OH MAN!
i'll answer a few before i hit the hay
ok, so the gsr is a model of the integra. the integra came in gs(grand series), ls(luxury series), gsr(grand racing series), and the type r(racing? maybe not sure) but they all have differences. The gs and ls are almost the same just the ls has more features such as power options, etc. and has a b18b1, which is a nonvtec motor rated at 140HP. The gsr is a step up and has a b18c1 vtec motor rated at 170HP. and the type r has a b18c5 vtec motor rated at 190HP. some basically they are all integras just different trims. For having one swapped into a car, i wouldnt trust anyone who has had one swapped unless they have proof as pro did it. or you trust the person. so i would just buy a gsr. its going to be much easier and a better platform to work with. as for a cat-back. Your exhaust system has 3 basics compents, your header to your cat to your pipe to the air. a cat-back is an upgrade pipe(normally bigger) going back from the cat. and for that an intake manifold wont have much effect on your hp or mpg. those a just small upgrades. A head is on top of the block and has like your cams, springs, retainers, pretty much your valve train. now below the head is block and your block has stuff like your crank, pistons, rods etc. you are right about the ratio. its a compression ratio. Hp is how much power your motor is making. Horse power can be measured in two ways. when a dealer say this car has 300 hp they are talking about to the crank. WHP(wheel horse power) RWHP (rear wheel horse power) FWHP (front wheel horse power) AWHP (all wheel horse power) those just the ways they can be measured as well depending on the drive train on the car. An integra is a front wheel drive can so it would be measured in FWHP, most people just WHP, or horse power to the wheels. This how much horse power you are making to the wheels if you havent got that yet.

ok i'm really tried so if that didnt make sense i'm sorry
i'll go more in depth tomorrow if your still confused

oh and welcome
Thank you Spody and Winki, your posts have greatly helped me
!!!

And another question.
I dont really like the four headlights on the integra, so i was thinking about looking for a JDM front end conversion.

My buddy Roger at school says that if you buy a car from craigslist, they will try to overcharge you if the teg comes with a front end conversion. What is the average cost of one, is it hard to install, and will it increase performance? Or just appearance?

And ANOTHER thing, Roger also said that Turboing a b18c1 Isn't a good idea because:
1) It already has V-tec, the extra pressure can damage the engine?
2) The engine may overheat from the heat of the gas being forced in?

Do you recommend turboing a GSR? Or if i turbo a LS VTec will it be faster than a stock GSR?

Nighthawk

Goes Vroom in the Night
Thank you Spody and Winki, your posts have greatly helped me
!!!

And another question.
I dont really like the four headlights on the integra, so i was thinking about looking for a JDM front end conversion.

My buddy Roger at school says that if you buy a car from craigslist, they will try to overcharge you if the teg comes with a front end conversion. What is the average cost of one, is it hard to install, and will it increase performance? Or just appearance? You dont buy a car FROM craigslist...you buy a car from a person THROUGH craigslist. Craigslist has nothing to do with the pricing, it is the owner who sets the price. They may try to tack on some extra bucks for a JDM conversion as they are fairly expensive. An authentic JDM full front end conversion can cost anywhere between $1200-$3000 for parts. It depends on what exactly you want (HIDs VS Non-HID headlights, CF Hood VS Metal, condition of the parts, etc. It will not increase any kind of performance whatsoever, its merely for looks....but does look great.

And ANOTHER thing, Roger also said that Turboing a b18c1 Isn't a good idea because:
1) It already has V-tec, the extra pressure can damage the engine?Turbocharging a GSR will not damage your motor (unless you use garbage parts and don't tune the car). V-tec has nothing to do with turbocharging/not-turbocharging the car. There are thousands of turbo GSRs on here, Team-Integra, Honda-Tech, etc.
2) The engine may overheat from the heat of the gas being forced in?Turbochargers do run much hotter than an N/A motor. There are many things you can do to keep it cooler though. For starts, you can add different hoods/front bumpers to the car with larger openings to help heat escape the engine bay. Intercoolers are also a great way to keep things cool. When you tune the car, the Air/Fuel ratio may be adjusted to allow more fuel to enter to help keep things cool. When fuel turns from a liquid to a gas, it absorbs and carries heat away.

Do you recommend turboing a GSR? Or if i turbo a LS VTec will it be faster than a stock GSR? I would recommend just working with a GSR. It is already a great platform to work with. LS V-tec enters in a whole new list of variables to watch out for...and could also become much more costly to build if you don't know what you are doing. Since you seem to be a bit of a beginner and are learning (which is awesome), I would really just stick with a GSR. You should definitely check the compression of the motor to make sure there are no issues and keep mileage into account as well. There are many people with boosted GSRs with over 100,000 miles on the odometer.

skitsifrantic

I decided to research the car, and now i am interested in purchasing one.

I live in southern California, I've been researching Acura engines, transmissions, exhaust systems, intake manifolds, exhaust mainfolds, etc. After looking over things very carefully, I still have these few questions.

- Is it safe to buy a used Integra GSR, or an integra with a GSR swapped into it? Or would it be better to buy a teg stock, and pay for people to swap the GSR in at a shop. The thing is, I don't think my dad will have the cash to pay for it, as he is paying for most of the car as a graduation gift to me (C/o 2008 lol).

- What is a "block", "Head", and what is the difference between a straight pipe and a Cat-bacK? And which one of these exhaust systems would be the best if i have an Integra GSR, or a civic coupe or HB with a GSR swapped into it?
+ Greddy Evo II
+ Buddy Club 2
+ Skunk2

- When someone states a ratio (i.e ' 14:1:1'), what are they referring to? I think it has something to do with the piston compression or the camshafts or something? Please explain as thoroughly as you can, as i catch onto concepts quite easily.

- What exactly IS horsepower (Sorry).

im new to integras to so i cant really help you there, but, you said someting about what is a ratio- a ratio is usually refering to the compression inside an engine. basically the compression is just a way to put the amount of pressure inside an engine into words in a usable form, 12:1 is greater than 10:1 meaning that 12:1 would be more pressure than 10:1.

ok a fi car, the intake manifold and exhaust will not really effect gas mileage and will not affect hp very much. the reason is because more fuel equals more power, and without the extra fuel the exhaust and manifold have a limit to how much good they can do.

and on what is hp, hp is nothing, it is just a measurement for the output of the engine, there are many ways to measure this and it varies in some countries(ie in japan i beilieve they use ps). hp in itself means nothing because it is just a measurement.

hope that helps