Replaced TPS sensor, car still has bad idle

AnthonyDc4

Hey CI! I replaced my TPS sensor today due to the fact that I have a hunting idle and it shuts off if I don't have my foot on the pedal. I have no vacuum leaks as I checked. Anything else that could be causing my hunting idle?

AnthonyDc4

I didn't mix them up, but i fixed my idle. I figured out that it was the Idle Position screw that was messing up the idle along with the TPS sensor, but now my car is running rich. Any ideas what could be making my car run rich?

AnthonyDc4

I'm going to get both of the o2 sensors when I get paid tomorrow, I unplugged the o2 sensor that's in the catalytic converter because it was causing me to blow my fuel pump fuse, which you guys helped me locate & fix. I reset my ecu by unplugging my battery and it seems to not be running as rich as it was when I first started it up after resetting my ecu

enjoytheridedc2

I'm going to get both of the o2 sensors when I get paid tomorrow, I unplugged the o2 sensor that's in the catalytic converter because it was causing me to blow my fuel pump fuse, which you guys helped me locate & fix. I reset my ecu by unplugging my battery and it seems to not be running as rich as it was when I first started it up after resetting my ecu
How does an o2 sensor trigger a fuel pump fuse to blow out?

How are you determining your car is running rich?

I ask because you're giving off an impression as if this is your first car and never had any prior experience with general auto mechanics. There's other reasons a vehicle can run rich besides failing o2 sensors. Muckman offered a possible solution, but how are you sure it will remedy your issue?

AnthonyDc4

It was shorting out by rubbing against the heat shield on the cat and was causing my fuse to blow and there is black smoke coming out of the back of my exhaust when I was driving it. Also this is my first car, I'm just trying to make things right and not be a complete idiot and mess something else up whilst doing this. Sorry for being a noob lol.