best oem replacement brakes?

98_gsr

Wasup CI...Its time for me to replace my front brake pads and rotors what do you guys recommend I use? Also where would I go about getting the part you recommend?? I still have OEM rotors and pads in the rear so I'm not really looking for drilled/slotted rotors...Thanks!!

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
oem...that simple...but no matter what pads you get, make sure you BREAK THEM IN!!!! i didnt, and now $80 down the shitter...

98_gsr

yeah i figured id end up goin to the stealership and getting oem...what do you mean by breaking them in? i need to make sure i do that cuz im doin it DIY

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
go easy on them for about 100-500 miles...keep off them too hard. drive slowly and apply light pressure...or else they glaze over really fast. i did it myself too. only i was stupid and got sick of driving slow... and do turn or replce the rotars. you might have to drill out the screws holding on the rotars. if they have never been removed they arent coming off anyother way. dont worry you dont need them anyway... im sure someone else can give you greater detail about breaking in the pads. that goes with any pad tho. imo pads are one of the few things you should ALWAYS replcae oem...unless you upgrade the brake system of course.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads FTW!
That's what I have too, but I can't recommend the pads. I got the Hawk HPS pads (their "entry level" pad), they get spongy when driving in the rain, otherwise they're fine. I'll try a different pad when these are used up, but at least they are low dust and not any noisier than OEM/generic pads.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
That's what I have too, but I can't recommend the pads. I got the Hawk HPS pads (their "entry level" pad), they get spongy when driving in the rain, otherwise they're fine. I'll try a different pad when these are used up, but at least they are low dust and not any noisier than OEM/generic pads.
Really? I felt that they held they're own in the rain.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i just got new 'oem quality' rotors and some reybestos full ceramics.. but then again.. i dont auto-x so i dont think i'd need all that stopping power

heykosal

Angkorian
Powerslot+Hawk pads=best bang for your buck(lol how many times have I said this phrase in the past week?)

As for breaking them in, I dont know what reg98teg is talking about but you're supposed to "seat" the brake pads..meaning as the first time you put them on you need to perform straight line braking manuevers progressively harder up to about a 60mph full panic stop to properly "seat" the pads. Start at like 20-30mph roll and brake gently to a stop. On the second run increase the braking force. And then after that increasing brake pressure AND speed upto about 60mph using full ABS lock(if you have ABS). This practice is called seating the brake pads and I learned it on Hot Rod television.
Or I could be TOTALLY wrong, but if I am someone will correct me.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Or I could be TOTALLY wrong, but if I am someone will correct me.
You're supposed to start with like 5-7 decelarations from 30-5 at about 50% pedal pressure to remove the coatings from the rotors and/or pads. Then about 5-7 from 60 at 90% pedal pressure to bed them. You ARE NOT supposed to lock the brakes up, come to a full stop or use ABS.

Race pads use a similar technique but require more speed

Last edited: