Bottomed out, now my car makes a weird noise when i let off the accelerator

IxBZeRkxI

So I was going about 30-40MPH and failed to noticed a dip in the road ahead of me. car didn't die has no trouble starting, and seems to still ride smooth. check for any leaks, found none. but, i went on a test drive to make sure everything was okay, and i noticed a sound when i take my foot off the accelerator. it kinda sounds like somethings winding down(a little different from the sound its supposed to make while decelerating) and when i put the car in neutral the sound goes away, so i assume that rules out axles, a-arms, etc. but im no professional when it comes to hondas/acuras. i would just like to know what the sound might be and also what i should check next just to be sure my car is safe to be on the road. please, i really need some input on this cause i fear i may have done some damage.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Probably an exhaust leak. Its the lowest part on the car and you probably hit it. Jack your car up and check it out.

IxBZeRkxI

U think that's it tho? I was gonna check struts and axles when I lift the car but I thought I should get someone else's advice before I get on the freeway with something gonna give way in the next few hundred miles. My first thought was that if there was damage it would've been immediate, but I figured I should get a second opinion on the matter. Cause the dip was pretty deep and the sound was absolutely horrid. But thx for your input, it's really appreciated

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Some things get loosened and then come apart later. First thing you should do is try to pinpoint where it contacted. Keep in mind one impact point could shift stress to another.

IxBZeRkxI

This is an update. The sound has gone from a slight winding down while decelerating to a loud clunking sound while accelerating that kicks in around 5-10mph and gets progressively louder as I pick up speed. While driving home I stopped at a stop sign and floored it for a quick second and it sounded almost as though the axles popped out of place, mostly due to a rubber sound coming from the wheel well(almost sounded and felt like a flat tire) and the only thing in the wheel well that's made of rubber besides the actually tire is the boot on the axle, luckily, I recently replaced the axles and still have a warranty on em for another 7,500 miles. I'm taking it in to the shop Tomo and I'm really hoping that's the source.. Because if it isn't I'm really at a loss...... Cross your fingers for me cause I already have a little over $3000 invested in my baby and I really don't think I can afford to get it fixed again. Again any input you may have is GREATLY appreciated, thx.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Yeah you really just need to check check and recheck. Youre probably missing something thats right in front of you.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
If there wasn't proper signage, go to your local city or county website and find out how to file for damages. You can do it against Caltrans if you hit a pothole or anything like that and have a blowout on a tire or other damage.
There is an inner pipe, I think it's the A-Pipe, that can come loose and make a rattling sound during acceleration and Decel.
- Aaron

IxBZeRkxI

Well that might have been an option if I hadn't ran a stop sign when I hit the dip lol.. But for anyone still interested in hearing what happened here it is. Turns out I fucked over my differential somehow and chipped a gear in my transmission, not too big of a deal since the transmission has been kind of shotty since I bought the car. I put in a new diff and had the transmission rebuilt. But that sent me back $1,100 and now I gotta save up some Feds to buy new struts all the way around, not too sure why but b

IxBZeRkxI

Oth rear struts, as well as the front left, are like 10x stiffer than they already were. Other than that I haven't noticed any damage so I'm staying hopeful lol. But I have definitely slowed down and began driving a lot safer since I had the tranny rebuilt ahah