ROTY Application: TeggyBear_Ls - Jetta

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
ur pic are way to small
Yeah I know. I'm working on it. Gotta find all these pics again to uplaod to photobucket. However, in the meantime, YOU CAN CLICK ON THEM TO SEE THEM BIGGER.

i bet this thing hallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllls some ass :D what kind of numbers are you puttin out?
Yes. Hauls ass is a good description. I haven't yet taken it to a dyno, but it should be anywhere around 160-170whp. here's my timeslip from Famoso Raceway....
1/4 Mile ET: 15.351
1/4 Mile MPH: 93.172
1/8 Mile ET: 9.986
1/8 Mile MPH: 71.370
0-60 Foot ET: 2.478
Meh, not bad for first time at the track..... I attended this west coast shootout event. Luckily I went Saturady, since Sunday got rained out. I'm going to head back on December 6th again to get a little more practice in....
http://famosoraceway.com/

wanted to use a front mount intercooler as a cold-air intake? won't work.
Yeah it would. Just like on a turbo car, except instead of the piping from intercooler to turbo, it's I/C to air filter.

Throttle Body.
.............[_]
.........../
........./
........|...........Intercooler ............Air Filter
........|----[______________]-----[==>

Like my illustration with punctuation makrs? :D Don't mind the periods, that's the only way it would stay shape

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
its still not going to work, and wouldn't work if you did it. the air charge isn't THAT HOT, so needing to cool it down is just silly.

besides, adding all those bends etc. for "intercooler" plumbing is just creating a large amount of turbulence to the airflow, thus losing any benefits you may have gained from the air charge that is 2* cooler.

ever notice how those "interfooler" intake systems get mocked and laughed at online? because they don't work. all that piping length, with aluminum piping, as well, creates heat anyway. air moving through aluminum creates a small amount of friction. and basic physics states that friction creates heat (air has "mass" two forms of mass making friction create heat". so even if you were successful in making this all work with MINIMAL bends in the system etc. you're not doing anything beneficial with aluminum piping.

plastic piping however, doesn't convect heat the same as aluminum, and will stay cooler for longer. so if "cooler air" is your thing, plastic is the way to go (if you're not turbocharged, of course) look at Iceman Intakes for Honda's etc. they are plastic, and perform fairly well (for a simple intake, anyway)

now I am in no way, shape, or form, trying to dis' you or your car. I'm just making sure others know that the "interfooler" intake (in any shape or form) is not a good idea, and doesn't work.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
In short, what he is saying is "unpimp ze auto" lol

Anyway, nice Jetta.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
its still not going to work, and wouldn't work if you did it. the air charge isn't THAT HOT, so needing to cool it down is just silly.
You obviously don't know about the VR6 motor then, LOL... The intake manifold runs over the head, and absorbs a ton of heat soak. Anything to reduce intake tempertures will help a lot. It was just a random idea anyway. Wanted to do something with the intercooler while waiting for the S/C lols....

Another point i'd like to point out. If all the longer piping restricts airflow, why does a typical CAI produce more power than a SRI? I suppose the interfooler intake probably doesn't cool down the air as much as you'd think though.

Update: I finally unjammed the interfooler and ripped it out of there, and I put on my velocity funnel. I'll upload pics ASAP, but I forgot my Camera USB cable @ home, so you'll have to wait.

Last edited:

601405dc2

601405dc2
Yes. Hauls ass is a good description. I haven't yet taken it to a dyno, but it should be anywhere around 160-170whp. here's my timeslip from Famoso Raceway....
1/4 Mile ET: 15.351
1/4 Mile MPH: 93.172
1/8 Mile ET: 9.986
1/8 Mile MPH: 71.370
0-60 Foot ET: 2.478

A stock VR6 has 172 hp from the factory bro. It seems like theres something restricting that VR6 from the looks of the track times. If its chipped and all..... My friend who is a mechanic worked on a jetta VR6 that had a crazy chip and had well over 200 hp. The car had so much power that when my friend inspected it for the first time he noticed that EVERY single motor mount was broken. 160-170 hp is really weak for a MK3 Jetta VR6.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
Another point i'd like to point out. If all the longer piping restricts airflow, why does a typical CAI produce more power than a SRI? I suppose the interfooler intake probably doesn't cool down the air as much as you'd think though.
SRI's actually make more power than on most Hondas. The CAI's make a bit more mid-range power, but SRI's tend to make a bit more peak power (higher rpms) due to the much shorter overall path of air travel. (thanks mostly to the pressure created at the filter. Comptech "Ice-Box" intakes get the best of both worlds. A "Short Ram" Intake, with a Cold-Air extension added, without adding additional piping between the filter and the throttle body.

I'm not too fluent on VeeDub knowledge, so you've got a "heads up" on me there.

Also, you're going Supercharged in the future? nice ;)

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
did you report the "rape" to the proper authorities. That GS-R must be begging for justice

:lol:

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
A stock VR6 has 172 hp from the factory bro. It seems like theres something restricting that VR6 from the looks of the track times. If its chipped and all..... My friend who is a mechanic worked on a jetta VR6 that had a crazy chip and had well over 200 hp. The car had so much power that when my friend inspected it for the first time he noticed that EVERY single motor mount was broken. 160-170 hp is really weak for a MK3 Jetta VR6.
The head design. only 12 valves. Thats 2 valves per cylinder. The head can only muster like half the amount of the amount of air as a Honda head can. The head design is the "bottleneck" of these motors. 200hp is barely acheivable even with cams, aftermarket intake manifold, full exhaust, header, chip, ported and polished head, etc. But 200hp is all these cars need. 200hp will get you into the 12's on the 1/4 mile....
SRI's actually make more power than on most Hondas. The CAI's make a bit more mid-range power, but SRI's tend to make a bit more peak power (higher rpms) due to the much shorter overall path of air travel. (thanks mostly to the pressure created at the filter. Comptech "Ice-Box" intakes get the best of both worlds. A "Short Ram" Intake, with a Cold-Air extension added, without adding additional piping between the filter and the throttle body.

I'm not too fluent on VeeDub knowledge, so you've got a "heads up" on me there.

Also, you're going Supercharged in the future? nice ;)
Hell yeah I am lol. I don't even have to touch the injectors, and i'll make over 240whp...
ive seen a vr6 rape a gsr stock for stock the vr6 is a great motor
I've beaten my buddy's 95 GSR with Skunk2 cams & 2.25" exhaust. - When I was stock. (no chip)
Cute Jetta!
:lol: Cute..... :lol:

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Fix the pics and listen to HondaGod. I've worked on plenty of euros. You want the most air in as quick as possible. The interfooler is keeping more air in the pipe longer. You have less velocity, less air charge, and more temperature. You want air in and out.

Trust us, you will feel a huge gain with say a 3inch diameter tube at least, and no longer than maybe 24 inches with a minimal of one bend. Figure out a way to fit it and do it.

Anyway, I personally will never own a volkswagen but yours looks good man. Also replace your damn headlight, it's not worth the cosmetic loss. :)

Last edited: