Car stereo works, speakers don't all of a sudden

Guf

Hey guys so I did a search and nothing really relevant came up. Basically, a few days ago I pulled out my car charger from my cigarette lighter and the metal part got stuck in the cig lighter and apparently it blew both the radio fuse (under the dash) and the engine fuse for the car audio. So I replaced both fuses and thought everything would work but all of a sudden the sound from the speakers became really distorted as soon as I turned up the volume.

I unhooked my car stereo to check the wiring behind it and upon reconnecting the speakers stopped working at all, completely no sound. After this I checked the wiring harness to see if any wires were grounded but they are all taped up and functioning. I took of my door panels to check the two front speaker connections and they too seem to be fine.

My question is, what could be the problem? Is it possible his fuse permanently shorted one of the wirings to the stereo? If so, buying a new harness for 20$ isn't a problem. Or is it a bigger problem, and blew up my whole speaker system?

Again, the car stereo (Alpine) works fine and when I turn it on I hear a little "pop" from the front right speaker but other than that I get no sound at all from my speakers no matter what I do.

Any help is appreciated, thanks CI :)

EDIT: I also noticed an unattached blue wire at the back but that just seems to be for aftermarket amps which I do not have. But yeah, isolating that blue wire and checking the connections of all the other wires and reattaching the RCA cable and still nothing...

Last edited:

Guf

I did blow a fuse. Several, actually. As soon as I replaced the fuse in the engine bay - the one responsible for car stereo - it blew again. But on the 3rd try the fuse is fine. I checked the under dash fuse (15A radio/cigarette lighter) the engine bay one and the head unit fuse itself and they are all fine. THe harness does look a bit messy and I did jam it in and out but yesterday I resoldered all connections and isolated with electrical tape. Could it still be the culprit?

My head unit is this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/alpine-electronics-alpine-mp3-wma-cd-car-deck-cde-100-cde-100/10134501.aspx

Also, I did not touch the speakers so I doubt it's that, unless they can blow when a fuse blows. The reason I want to narrow this down is because I recently got laid off from my job and am trying to save up money and Best Buy Geek Squad charges 50$ for diagnosis but if the harness is the problem I'd rather save 30$ and buy a new harness.

Thanks!

Last edited: