2013 Ride Of The Year Awards (Apps Due 12-21)

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I have a question. Can I enter invested under $2k even though I purchased the car with a lot of mods?

Sent from my phone
I would say no. It should be based on the price of the mods installed on the car, regardless of who actually purchased them. Otherwise, someone that may have purchased thoroughly modified car with $15k in to it, could submit. That would not be fair to the other entries who have $2k or less in mods.

Nick_C78

Thats a tough category to make rules for. Is it $2k worth in mods based on retail of the parts? See where this gets confusing? Buying a used car with parts is no different than buying used parts, imo.

jbrown97ls

I hate how grey the rules are for the best with under 2k category. I love the idea of it, I just hate how it's all subjective. Mods on the car when you purchased it are a grey area. I also remember seeing members say that maintenance items don't count? Not things like oil changes, but if you replace a head gasket or pistons with oem replacements, etc... You could rebuild an entire engine and not have any money put towards your total. I've also seen that parts that are gifts or parts you owned previously and swapped over not count. I think we should have a more specific set of rules for that category.

Nick_C78

It should consider how much you bought the car for too. I mean if I spent 12k on an ITR, but invested 1500 in to it, that means I can enter right? Doesn't sound fair. Just something to consider. I am way over that 2k invested regardless, so it doesn't really concern me directly.

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
I bought my teg for $3900 with over $3k worth of mods when I purchased it. However I put in about $1k if rebuilding a stock transmission counts as a "mod." Guess I can't enter if purchasing a car with mods is against the rule...

Sent from my phone

Ganyon

I just see it as how much I personally have put in the car. I don't count previous mods or gifts. When voting, you just have to take into consideration that the car was built by a different owner or certain things were gifts. Also, it depends on how much the gifts and parts on the car actually cost. If it has a lot of little things like lights and cheap things, then it shouldn't matter. But for big things like buying a car with a 5 lug swap and $2k rims is a different story.

Last edited:

jbrown97ls

It should consider how much you bought the car for too. I mean if I spent 12k on an ITR, but invested 1500 in to it, that means I can enter right? Doesn't sound fair. Just something to consider. I am way over that 2k invested regardless, so it doesn't really concern me directly.

Yeah, but at the same time I think most people would take that into consideration; just like stated above. No one like sand baggers, and I'm sure no one would vote for anyone with an ITR for the <2k class, lol.

I'm not complaining since I'm also way above that investment mark, it's just something that I've noticed with that category.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Regardless, it would still be highly unfair for someone to enter a car with mods that someone else put on and not be required to claim them in the total. That would allow someone to enter a fully built show car with $30k in to it, or a 500hp track beast, etc. just because they bought it that way. It completely defeats the purpose. You all know what these parts are worth, it's not a guessing game.

Either way, that's just my opinion. You can let speedin make that call on that, I do not take this headache as my own.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
Regardless, it would still be highly unfair for someone to enter a car with mods that someone else put on and not be required to claim them in the total. That would allow someone to enter a fully built show car with $30k in to it, or a 500hp track beast, etc. just because they bought it that way. It completely defeats the purpose. You all know what these parts are worth, it's not a guessing game.

Either way, that's just my opinion. You can let speedin make that call on that, I do not take this headache as my own.
Yes, you have it right. And yes the rules are a bit grey on this. But we all know exactly what this means, its a category were people just getting into the game can play and get encouragement to continue. And that is how we should all vote. There are alot of ways to try and do this but the $2k method is the best. If I were truly anal I would ask for an itemized list of MODS. Note I said MODS, not maintenance items (and a B18C5 swap isnt maintenance because your engine blew). As far as used parts, just use some common sense. Saying your brother gave you a full GT35R kit for $1 is bullshit. But the truth is this isnt for a $1000 prize or anything, its just for fun. So use common sense entering, and vote with the same.

And yes an OEM ITR with less than $2k in bolt-ons can enter. But I hope everyone in here would realize thats BS and not vote for that car.

Im entering the neon.
Awwww damn!

Last edited: